Switching carriers, Which phone should I go with?

Which Phone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

terreos

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So as of right now I'm on sprint with the Galaxy Note II. And I am off contract so I can freely switch whenever I feel ready. First I want to switch because Sprints service just seems to get worse and worse as my two years with them went on. I live in an area that on sprints coverage map says I should have near perfect service. And there will be times when I lose connection altogether.So that's why I'm switching.

Now my Note II is a great phone. With the 64gb memory card I can keep all of my music and videos with me. Which is important to me as I watch alot of movies on my phone and listen to music roughly 3 hours a day. While this is nice it does make it bulky. And even though I love the large screen I think the overall size of the phone is just too large for me as I like using phones with one hand. I also rarely use the S pen. It's more of a novelty. I also got a zero lemon battery for it so it would last me roughly three days on a single charge. It's nice to have it last for so long but, I'm normally near a charger and am not a road warrior so it isn't really needed. The last think I'd like to note ((pun intended)) is I use my phone to keep my schedule in line. My calender is filled with events and reminders. I'd be lost without the calender widget on my Note 2. I"m sure there are widgets I can download for any android phone, but it is a key feature that I feel I need for my daily life.

There are three phones that I'm considering when I switch. HTC One, Galaxy S4, or the Galaxy Note 3. From what I described above which would be best for a new two year contract with a new carrier?

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
So as of right now I'm on sprint with the Galaxy Note II. And I am off contract so I can freely switch whenever I feel ready. First I want to switch because Sprints service just seems to get worse and worse as my two years with them went on. I live in an area that on sprints coverage map says I should have near perfect service. And there will be times when I lose connection altogether.So that's why I'm switching.

Now my Note II is a great phone. With the 64gb memory card I can keep all of my music and videos with me. Which is important to me as I watch alot of movies on my phone and listen to music roughly 3 hours a day. While this is nice it does make it bulky. And even though I love the large screen I think the overall size of the phone is just too large for me as I like using phones with one hand. I also rarely use the S pen. It's more of a novelty. I also got a zero lemon battery for it so it would last me roughly three days on a single charge. It's nice to have it last for so long but, I'm normally near a charger and am not a road warrior so it isn't really needed. The last think I'd like to note ((pun intended)) is I use my phone to keep my schedule in line. My calender is filled with events and reminders. I'd be lost without the calender widget on my Note 2. I"m sure there are widgets I can download for any android phone, but it is a key feature that I feel I need for my daily life.

There are three phones that I'm considering when I switch. HTC One, Galaxy S4, or the Galaxy Note 3. From what I described above which would be best for a new two year contract with a new carrier?

The ONE would be my personal pick out of those 3. The note 3 is definitely a beautiful device but it's just too big to consider.

If you do want to keep the ability to use a micro SD card, then the ONE is off the table. It does offer 32gb of internal storage but that may not be enough for you.

The S4 sounds like your best overall bet since you like expandable memory and are looking for a device that is smaller than the note 2/3.

They all have their pros and cons, I would just recommend playing with them in the store and get a feel for them.

Sent from my White Moto X

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hard to say which phone to suggest.
You like SD cards. No sweat, but if that is a must, that limits you to Samsung. The Note 3 is a little bigger than the 2, so I am curious why that one made the list. If I had to make a suggestion, perhaps the One or the Moto X. I just got the Moto a few hours ago, and I love it. It's a little smaller than the S3, but no SD card. I am already considering what to do with my music. It's not that big a deal for me, so right now it doesn't matter.

I think a better idea would be to choose your carrier and then choose your device. Take AT&T versus Verizon. Verizon doesn't have Sony like AT&T will and Verizon has several Motorolas where AT&T will only have the X.

Although, I think the best is yet to come for Sprint. Some people will scoff at me for that, but they do have a lot of work in the tunnel, and a fresh injection of cash and Clearwire has been acquired by them.

Best of luck in your search for a carrier/phone.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I almost forgot to mention: Would it be possible to get a tablet and a phone? Use the Tab for movies, and then get a smaller phone for everything else?

terreos

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I think I should mention that my current plan is to go with at&t. They have good coverage where I live, work, and places I commonly like to visit when I'm off.

So they have the option for 64gb HTC One. Which would be plenty.

If I had to get a phone without an SD it would need at least 32gb. So the moto x is kind of out of the question. Though I do like what I've seen with reviews.

As far as Sony phones go what are some good ones to look at? I'm gonna stop at a store over the weekend and play with whatever is suggested to help make my choice.

And a tablet might be a good idea. I have played with tablets before and I honestly enjoy the nexus tablets. Surprisingly I don't like the Samsung tablets.

And I understand sprint has a lot of work to do but, they've been working on improving the towers near my home for over a year now. Which is fine, but I once had a clear signal in my home. I randomly get roaming now. So that's my breaking point of roaming while at home. As I mentioned the maps sprint provides says I should have good strong coverage.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I think I should mention that my current plan is to go with at&t. They have good coverage where I live, work, and places I commonly like to visit when I'm off.

So they have the option for 64gb HTC One. Which would be plenty.

If I had to get a phone without an SD it would need at least 32gb. So the moto x is kind of out of the question. Though I do like what I've seen with reviews.

As far as Sony phones go what are some good ones to look at? I'm gonna stop at a store over the weekend and play with whatever is suggested to help make my choice.

And a tablet might be a good idea. I have played with tablets before and I honestly enjoy the nexus tablets. Surprisingly I don't like the Samsung tablets.

And I understand sprint has a lot of work to do but, they've been working on improving the towers near my home for over a year now. Which is fine, but I once had a clear signal in my home. I randomly get roaming now. So that's my breaking point of roaming while at home. As I mentioned the maps sprint provides says I should have good strong coverage.

In regards to coverage, I think every carrier embellishes the coverage maps a little. Check out sensorly. That is a coverage map based on users.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app

terreos

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I'll have one. . .in maybe five years. . .

Anyway I was looking at the Xperia phones and they seem to be decent phones aswell. Just not sure if I'd be willing to buy a phone off of contract for that much.

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'll have one. . .in maybe five years. . .

Anyway I was looking at the Xperia phones and they seem to be decent phones aswell. Just not sure if I'd be willing to buy a phone off of contract for that much.

Are you going to AT&T then?

Galaxia

May 24, 2013
Visit site
I've had all the phones you mentioned minus the GN3 (I had the 2).
Everyone has their personal taste. Some people argued with me that the LG g2 had a better camera that the s4 or that the HTC ones design far outweighs any negative aspects.
I have two pieces of advice:

1) play with every phone in the store because online shopping is very different than in store shopping when it comes to something you're going to hold in your hands on a daily basis.
2) make a list of requirements that you need on your new phone and see which phone meets those requirements. Like someone said if expandable storage is a must then Samsung it is.
I wouldn't necessarily go by UI since there's an alternative launcher for just about anyone's taste.

Good luck and happy phone shopping :)

Sent from my VZW S4

terreos

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Are you going to AT&T then?

Good chance. That sensorly coverage map showed that At&t would have better coverage than sprint in my common places that I go. Which is mainly what I'm looking for.

I've had all the phones you mentioned minus the GN3 (I had the 2).
Everyone has their personal taste. Some people argued with me that the LG g2 had a better camera that the s4 or that the HTC ones design far outweighs any negative aspects.
I have two pieces of advice:

1) play with every phone in the store because online shopping is very different than in store shopping when it comes to something you're going to hold in your hands on a daily basis.
2) make a list of requirements that you need on your new phone and see which phone meets those requirements. Like someone said if expandable storage is a must then Samsung it is.
I wouldn't necessarily go by UI since there's an alternative launcher for just about anyone's taste.

Good luck and happy phone shopping :)

Sent from my VZW S4

Doing this. Only thing is I'll have to go to a t-mobile store to see how an xperia feels. eehhh. . .