1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default virgin mobile supreme boot up sound disable

So i just got the virgin mobile supreme and I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the boot up sound and none of the apps made to do so are working. Can anyone help??

Default Re: virgin mobile supreme boot up sound disable

Quote Originally Posted by mrscribbles View Post
    So i just got the virgin mobile supreme and I'm trying to figure out how to turn off the boot up sound and none of the apps made to do so are working. Can anyone help??
    You have to have it rooted - process is here:

Then you can add .bak to Bootsound_virgin.ogg - it's located in system/etc.

You can't accomplish this unless you are rooted as the file is in a protected directory. Rooting it was painless though

I'm root and that didn't work for me when I tried it from adb shell:

shell@android:/system/etc/ # mv Bootsound_virgin.ogg Bootsound_virgin.ogg.bak
    failed on 'Bootsound_virgin.ogg' - Read-only file system

shell@android:/system/etc/ # ll *.ogg
    -rw-r--r-- root root 59584 2013-04-19 03:445 Bootsound_virgin.ogg

But I was able to rename (and ultimately, delete) it using Root Browser. Odd. I was also able to delete the boot animation sequence from /system/media with Root Browser.

Sweet, this worked pretty well for me on my Virgin Mobile Supreme (ZTE)... I had to run it twice (on my phone and twice on my wife's) before it was successful.
    Both phones, on the first running of the batch file, failed the installed, but after reboot and subsequent run, it worked (it did note the prior failure in the text).
    That was the most annoying startup sound possible, what were they thinking?? Thank you for this info!!

EDIT: after rooting, root browser was all I needed to change the permissions for the sound file, and then rename it to old_
    PS: My TrendMicro wanted to delete a file in the zip called "pwn"...this is essential to the batch file running. I tried without it and
    the batch would not run, it's a resource file for the rooting exploit I believe. I just told Trend Micro to **** off momentarily...