Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Battery damage?

For example i own a phone at has input of 1,000mA then i plug it to a Power Bank that outputs 2,000mA. What will happen? Will battery be damaged?
    Phone:
    Nokia 5610, Blackberry 9780, iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S4 (I9505), Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) - Sandisk Extreme PLUS 32GB

Tablet:
    Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 (T700) - Sandisk Ultra 32GB

Default Re: Battery damage?

nothing, the battery will not be damaged. But if conversed situation that the phone's input bigger than power bank's outputs, either the power bank or your battery will be damaged.

Quote Originally Posted by Omer San Gabriel View Post
    For example i own a phone at has input of 1,000mA then i plug it to a Power Bank that outputs 2,000mA. What will happen? Will battery be damaged?
    Boom , it will hurt your battery as well as your phone. I had a experience.

Press THANK YOU and LIKE button if you gets the answer
    Dont' Forget to press Thank you button and like button when you get an answer
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by Sophia Zhao View Post
    nothing, the battery will not be damaged. But if conversed situation that the phone's input bigger than power bank's outputs, either the power bank or your battery will be damaged.
    Quote Originally Posted by mobilecrackers View Post
    Boom , it will hurt your battery as well as your phone. I had a experience.

Press THANK YOU and LIKE button if you gets the answer
    So how to know what is the max input of the phone?
    Phone:
    Nokia 5610, Blackberry 9780, iPhone 4, Samsung Galaxy S4 (I9505), Samsung Galaxy S5 (SM-G900F) - Sandisk Extreme PLUS 32GB

Tablet:

So how to know what is the max input of the phone?
    Smartphones generally have chargers at supplies between 0.9a and 1.1a
    Amperage is the measure of how FAST electricity is moving in a circuit. Voltage is the measure of how MUCH electricity is moving in a circuit.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Smartphones generally have chargers at supplies between 0.9a and 1.1a
    Amperage is the measure of how FAST electricity is moving in a circuit. Voltage is the measure of how MUCH electricity is moving in a circuit.
    Currently using S4 and the charger outputs 2.0V. The charger is the one that comes with the package.
    Phone:

Tablet:

Currently using S4 and the charger outputs 2.0V. The charger is the one that comes with the package.
    This is ok . no need to worry they are official charges .

2.0v is VERY BAD for usb charger.usb spec requires 5v. Now 2.0a is okay, and the s4 charger should be 5v,2a.

dpham00, Android Central Moderator
    Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3
    Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post
    2.0v is VERY BAD for usb charger.usb spec requires 5v. Now 2.0a is okay, and the s4 charger should be 5v,2a.

My bad. It's 2.0A
    Phone:

Tablet:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by dpham00 View Post

I'm planning to buy a power bank but i don't know what exactly to get.

There is this one saying the Output is 5V - 2,100mA (max) and the other one is 5.3V - 2,000mA (max) both of them has 10,500mAh battery but i'm confused about their output. Please help.
    Phone:

Tablet:

Oh so 2A is gonna destroy the battery unless the charger has an official packaging/logo.. now those 2A won't hurt.

The fact is, smartphones 'of today' have current limiting abilities so that they only 'sip' from a 'stream' of electricity - whatever the manufacturer determined is the ideal rate. Now voltage.. overvoltage chargers will do damage because that's like turning the cup into a fountain and saying 'drink' as it covers you.

Bad analogy?

I'm planning to buy a power bank but i don't know what exactly to get.

There is this one saying the Output is 5V - 2,100mA (max) and the other one is 5.3V - 2,000mA (max) both of them has 10,500mAh battery but i'm confused about their output. Please help.
    See my response above for an explanation, but you want the 5V 2.1A charger. 5.3 is pushing is only a little, but better safe than sorry. Think of amperage as 'potential'. It won't keep pumping electricity into a device that doesn't want it, nor will it have to eat it, itself. If you have too low of wattage in any way, you run risk of burning the charger in one way or another.