Android phones that don't suffer from lag?

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I had an android years ago and just couldn't deal with the lag. Got really sick of iPhone and went up windows phone. As awesome as it is, it lost all support and decided to give Android another shot. Got the s6. And it would be my favorite phone ever of it didn't slow to a crawl daily... Typing lags, I click something and wait to see if it responds, camera locks up and produces choppy video. Overall, for such a powerful device... It's a mess.

After restarting it I get a few hours, sometimes even a day of smooth usage, but then I'm back to lag city.

Is it just that Android is an unoptimized mess, or is it that Samsung added too much garbage on top of the OS and trashed it?

I would really like to love it... But if this is the best it gets, I'm going to have to settle for an iPhone 6s this fall :(

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Re: any Android phones that don't suffer from crippling lag?

It sounds like it's Samsung's overlay causing the issues. Even then, you shouldn't be experiencing problems such as the ones you are having.

Do you notice the lag after doing or using anything in particular? You can go into developer settings and disable the on-screen animations. That should help. However, you might want to consider a factory reset and see if the problem returns after installing a particular app or service. If it does, then that could be your problem. Apps that are poorly designed and consume too much memory will create the lag you are experiencing.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
If you're running anywhere from 5.0 to 5.0.2, there's a memory leak, and if it takes about a day to start acting up, that's what it sounds like. 5.1 fixed it.

Sergiusz Jasper

May 18, 2014
Visit site
Asus zenfone 2, 4g, 64gb absolutely no lag, was on Note 4 find this phone way snappier in every way.

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
If you're running anywhere from 5.0 to 5.0.2, there's a memory leak, and if it takes about a day to start acting up, that's what it sounds like. 5.1 fixed it.
That's absolutely true. I had memory leak on 5.0 to 5.0.2 on my Nexus 7 tablet. I haven't had any memory leak issues since the first 5.1.1.

May 3, 2015
Visit site
I uninstalled several apps that I feel night be causing issues, deleted all widgets (basically defeating the purpose of using Android) and disabled all the Verizon apps and Samsung apps I don't care about.

So far I've had no lag... But ours only been a day. I'll know by tomorrow if it's back.

WeAreAllUnique

Sep 9, 2014
Visit site
Once it's refreshed I will be looking at it. The current model is pretty outdated. If my s6 keeps running like it's been today I'll be very happy with it.
However, the current Nexus 5 probably performs better than your S6 and is decidedly cheaper. But yes, waiting for the refresh would be ideal. If you wanted to replace your S6 now with something comparable in size, the Nexus 5 would be my recommendation.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Nexus 6, Nexus 6, Moto X 2015, Moto X 2014, Moto X 2013, LG G4, HTC One M9, Asus Zenfone 2 - I think there are others.

tadpoles

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
Nexus 5 and 6. The Nexus 5 is a very solid phone. A couple of my colleagues have it and I'm impressed how well 5.1.1 runs on it. Nexus 6? If you need the beast it will not disappoint.

from the Elegance