Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nashcat
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sd card blank or has unsupported file system

Curious if anyone has seen this error. My sd card is not readable on any android phone or computer ive tried it on.

What I think broke it was the NEW SD CARD storage optimizer by Kalyani, I opened it up after downloading off the android market and used a feature called file explorer. It took forever to read all the files on my card and eventually I closed it out before its completion and immediately noticed my sd card is now inaccesable.

Is that error fixable or should I throw out the card?

Global Posts
    9,464 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: Sd card blank or has unsupported file system

Seems like the card got corrupt...there are programs for mac/pc that will try and recover the files from the sd card. Try searching for "sd card repair" or "retrieve files from sd card".

In all likely hood, you'll just have to reformat the card and it should be back up and running. Try formatting it from the phone or connect it to a computer and format it as a fat32 file system. Let us know how things go.

i tried a few sd cards ll of them it come up the same messge

Yes the card is probably corrupted and needs to be re-formated & checked for errors.

@ srkmagnus +1

SD Cards FYI:

Your SD Card should be Formatted on your device, ie phones, camera's, MP3 Players.

See if you can copy anything from the card to your PC,

Then format the card on your phone that it is going to be used on. Check directions for your phone cuz some usually require you unmount the card then format it while its in the phone.

There are special hidden files Android on the sd card that are used by the phone it was used on or formatted on, usually if you took a card from another phone & put it in your phone it will not work or your phone will be stuck in a reboot mode or be corrupted or just error.

Sometimes you can format your card on your PC to Fat32 sys file type and it will work but the rightway is to format the SDcard on your phone/device.

Hope that helps.

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Also, be sure if you are connecting to a computer in disk drive mode that you always choose "Safely remove hardware" (or something like that) from the computer before disconnecting your phone. Not doing that is a sure way of corrupting your card.

Have had this issue come up several times, for several months. Used to be able to fix it with a reformat of the card using SD's specific formater. Would have to save the contents of the card before hand on a hardrive folder. Then move back to the card after its formated in FAT32. No matter the card I use (I have used three of them) it always happens after a while. Somewhere a file keeps getting corrupted that cause the Android system to not recognise the sd card at all.

I have also reflashed new Roms to fix the problem. I think it is either Cyanogen, of gingerbread itself. It's got to be in the software codeing. I switched from CM7 to MIUI was working good for a while then boom, app crash...corrupt card. Very annoyed at android right now. Found the same issue on verizon forums using Motorola phones. I use a HTC Desire CDMA- Us Cellular.

From my research it seams to happen mostly with running an app off the SD card, or disconnecting usb cord. I have had it happen disconnecting from PS3 as well. Needs to be told to Cyanogen.

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

You should only be formatting your SD card with your phone. Sounds like you're not. And you encounter this problem after disconnecting the usb. Like I said in my previous post, if you're connected in disk drive mode, and your just pulling the usb, that is what's causing your problems.

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

Nobody has addressed the OP's problem yet. He said the card was unreadable by his phone or his computer. How in the world can he do ANYTHING suggested here???

I have the same problem. I was using a sound recording app today and forgot to shut it off. Apparently it filled the MicroSD card. I eventually heard the notification that the SD card had a problem (I guess when it reached capacity) and started trying to recover it. Nothing recognizes it now. I ask that someone who actually understands the situation offer a solution. Thanks.
    angel77lopez likes this.

This has happened to me in the past, my phone was not reading my SD card. I took it to Verizon and they couldnt even figure out why it wasnt reading the card. They tried one of their cards and it still didnt work, so it was the phone itself. I had to get a totally new phone. Maybe thats whats wrong with yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Nashcat View Post
    Nobody has addressed the OP's problem yet. He said the card was unreadable by his phone or his computer. How in the world can he do ANYTHING suggested here???

I have the same problem. I was using a sound recording app today and forgot to shut it off. Apparently it filled the MicroSD card. I eventually heard the notification that the SD card had a problem (I guess when it reached capacity) and started trying to recover it. Nothing recognizes it now. I ask that someone who actually understands the situation offer a solution. Thanks.
    My Answer to the Original OP: Toss the card if non of what is listed already helps.

- Not familiar with OP's software, so that leaves many things, further the more information provided helps to diagnose issues

- Guessing & knowing are apples & oranges so we need all the facts always to try to help diagnose issues

FYI SD Cards: Corruption &/or defective sd card &/or phone hardware /software is a common issue

- There are a lot of cheap & fake sd cards out there. Try to buy name brand only in a Retail Pack, Not Bulk!

- SD Card failure is common in devices, not just phones, I said "Devices"; either from fake or cheap sd card, software issue (s), not 1st being formatted on the device 1st (its in most all phone manuals, buy hey, not many peops read them), not disconnecting from PC correctly, forcing, incorrect use, not handling with care, temperature, conditions, environment, Apps, rooting, Roms, doing things that they are not well aware of can damage, device / hardware issue and other

- Remove your SD card from your phone, insert it in a sd adapter, try connecting to PC, if the card reader is good (yes they go bad too) and is inserted correctly & fully see what your PC says. It may be able to read it, if so copy it to a new folder on your PC. If it says nothing or does not show, double check it, try another usb port, can also reboot your PC if you have not done so that day and try again. If it says its corrupted, try scan & repair in PC menu, may or may not work, if it does, when its done re-format the card to FAT32 file system, remove it correctly from PC, insert in Device & reformat on that Device. If it says the card is not recognized, try above.

If all that fails toss it & replace it. I would start off with only a New Retail Package 2gb card in case you have a device/hardware issue so it will save you some money if it kills that card. If it does kill the new card have your device checked by a pro.

I have had 4 phones that ate SD cards due to device hardware issues, but they usually do a FDR 1st and ask you try it with a new card. Yes thats how it usually works...

Also keep in mind the Micro SD cards are very delicate, u can break them very easily removing them & putting them back in without knowing it!

Forums like this are great tools, but not the one solution, sometimes you need to take your device to a hands on retail store tech (most are good) to have it checked properly "hands on".

So we are trying to help here

God Bless

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

The OP stated that his card was not accessible from the phone OR a computer. He (and I) hoped that there might be some other way, unknown to us, whereby it might be recovered. Everything your first post suggested ignored the part about it being inaccessible through normal methods. Thanks for your subsequent post which offered more information, however, the short answer to the question is this:
    Once it has been determined that the card is readable by neither the phone nor a computer, you might as well purchase a new card. Yours is kaput.

ROM
    Sabsa Prime ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Nashcat View Post
    The OP stated that his card was not accessible from the phone OR a computer. He (and I) hoped that there might be some other way, unknown to us, whereby it might be recovered. Everything your first post suggested ignored the part about it being inaccessible through normal methods. Thanks for your subsequent post which offered more information, however, the short answer to the question is this:
    Once it has been determined that the card is readable by neither the phone nor a computer, you might as well purchase a new card. Yours is kaput.
    Also, the best way to get people to not want to help you is to cop an attitude when they spend their time to read your posts and use what knowledge they have to try and help.

Global Posts
    80 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pazzo02 View Post
    Also, the best way to get people to not want to help you is to cop an attitude when they spend their time to read your posts and use what knowledge they have to try and help.
    If you want to talk about time being wasted, your post did exactly that. Any random sampling from these pages will show you how stupid that sounds. When people have a problem and actually put some thought into describing it to help gain an answer, they aren't looking for guesses by people that either don't have a clue or that didn't bother to read (and comprehend) the problem, or a re-telling of the problem their Aunt Lucy had when she forgot her phone at the dentist's office.

This forum used to be a good source of useful information before there were millions of people out there with Android phones. It has now sunk well below the lowest common denominator. There is still some good help here, but it's not likely to come with the first asking. People that don't know what they're talking about should just be quiet and actually learn something. "What knowledge they have" says it all.

Thumbs up Re: Sd card blank or has unsupported file system

I'm on my third card/manufacturer. It's always the same, external SD apps get corrupted, Icons don't show up in Applications, but a copy is still on Settings-Manage Applications. Then in a couple of days the card cannot be read (with anything), I've seen all the errors including Unsupported file system. How or where it's formatted makes NO difference AFAICT.

It's interesting theory on the USB cord disconnect. But if if you just hit home when the Kies, etc... message comes up, I thought it only used USB for charging?

I haven't found a pattern, but something is corrupting the file system so it can't even be read on a PC. My suspect is HEAT. Hopefully somebody will find out whats causing this, I'm tired of reloading my music and SD apps??

I have had the same problem. I realized that the problem was caused when I was taking pictures and the card capacity was reached. I was not able to delete anything of my card. I tried to format the card, but the same message "USB storage blank or has unsupported file system" has appeared. The card has not also run in any PCs as well.

"SD card blank or has an unsupported filesystem." I've tried every fix. These SAME cards (I have a few) can be taken out and read and used on a pc and any number of other android phones. I am a virgin mobile customer w/ a motorola triumph. This phone os is fixed can never be updated (not the issue). It is droid 2.2.2. Anyways, same issue - RANDOM failure of SD card. Phone can just be sitting by itself for 24 hours and boom, either locks or reboots itself with subsequent sd error. And after months of use, boom, it can reverse itself. But, then, boom, reverse, haha. You'll also see Nook tablet owners complaining of this. It is obviously a very expensive fix for google and their partners OR could it be as perverse as an agreed upon technique to get folks to purchase new? Either way, it truly is horrible the way they've danced around it. Next phone is iOS or windows for me.

When I changed to a new phone, it came with an SD card, so I decided to just put my old one to the side for safe keeping. I recently put it in my phone and I am getting the Blank SD Card unsupported message. I do not want to format it because I assumed that because it said blank, but there is not full space available, that there is still pics etc on it. Is there any known methods to help me get my stuff of of the card? Or is there anywhere I could go to get it done?? HELP!!!

just format the sd card with yr pc!!!!! That's work for me.....

Hi guys. want to share my story and see if anyone has managed to recover data from this error.

Basically this has happened to me twice. A month ago I got the error, data was not accessible by phone or when connected to PC. I had to format and lost a year of photos. Samsung received an angry email from me and they pleaded ignorance. But this is obviously a very common issue. So I format and everything is back to normal, the SD card works fine.

Yesterday, the same thing happened to my girlfriends Galaxy S2. Same error and all the data is inaccessible. I don't want to format it. I want to recover the precious data!

Any help, updates, advice?

Please!!!

Welcome to Android Central! That sounds really frustrating. I probably won't be able to help you recover any lost data, but first we need to determine if those files have truly been lost. Are you able to unmount the SD card, remove it, and insert it into your desktop/laptop? If so, can you access any of the photos or other files on your computer? If you can see the files, then immediately copy/backup all of those files onto your computer, and then reformat the card. Once it is reformatted, you could then copy the files back onto it, then reinsert it into the phone.

Your story is unfortunately not that uncommon. Android actually doesn't have native support for external SD cards (which is why pure Google devices don't support them)--the devices that do support SD cards are able to do so by tweaking the code to fool Android into thinking the SD card is just another part of the onboard memory. Unfortunately, this also means that errors can occur, and it seems that Samsung devices are disproportionately represented in this regard. Maybe it's just because Samsung sells so many phones, or maybe it's because they have more problems with their software. If you search these and other forums, you'll find many threads about various Samsung devices having SD card problems.

What I suggest is that you both make a habit of backing up your photos frequently, which is prudent in any case!

Posted via Android Central App