1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Cool How do I wipe clean, fresh install of OS

I have no doubt that someone has written about this previously, but because I don't know exactly what terms I'm searching for, I'm hoping someone can either comment or point me to another forum where this has been answered.

I have an HTC Legend running Android 2.2. Because a) it came with pre-installed software that I don't want, b) I would like to Root the device, c) it has started to lag very often (my biggest issue) and d) I'd like to upgrade to 2.3, I'd like to know how to do [HL]Full wipe, fresh install[/HL]. If I were to compare this to what I'd be asking to do on a computer, it would be a full format and re-install of the operating system.

[HL]How do I this?[/HL]

Thanks,
    L

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Default Re: How do I wipe clean, fresh install of OS

You can do a factor reset by going into the settings. As far as rooting goes it never took off here but the people at xda have u covered. I would start with this link
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks - but factory reset I don't think will work. The phone came pre-installed with a bunch of software for another carrier that I don't want. I presume doing a factory reset will put all that back on.

Not to mention, I want to upgrade the OS in the process.

I think I need something a bit more than just a reset, but thanks....

Anyone else??

Can your phone be rooted?

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by lazeinadream View Post
    Thanks - but factory reset I don't think will work. The phone came pre-installed with a bunch of software for another carrier that I don't want. I presume doing a factory reset will put all that back on.

Not to mention, I want to upgrade the OS in the process.

I think I need something a bit more than just a reset, but thanks....

Anyone else??
    U have two options. Factory reset or root it by using the link I posted. Your phone is old and will not get any more updates. So the only way to get rid of the bloot and upgrade the software by using a custom rom u need to ROOT

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by jarencibia View Post
    Can your phone be rooted?
    yes I could not believe it but the people at xda got it coverd
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by yodatom10 View Post
    U have two options. Factory reset or root it by using the link I posted. Your phone is old and will not get any more updates. So the only way to get rid of the bloot and upgrade the software by using a custom rom u need to ROOT
    pardon my ignorance here, but let's assume that i Root my phone.

at that stage, am i not going to have all the old software anyway? let's say that i felt i had a virus on my phone that had affected the OS. how would i do a clean-wipe of that to reset the OS to its initial state, w/out additional software?

my understanding is that Rooting the phone just gives me "admin" privileges which will allow me to remove pieces of software. i don't think that gets me all the way there, does it?

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

pardon my ignorance here, but let's assume that i Root my phone.

at that stage, am i not going to have all the old software anyway? let's say that i felt i had a virus on my phone that had affected the OS. how would i do a clean-wipe of that to reset the OS to its initial state, w/out additional software?

my understanding is that Rooting the phone just gives me "admin" privileges which will allow me to remove pieces of software. i don't think that gets me all the way there, does it?
    I don't think u understand rooting.

First thing first android can't get virus.

As far as rooting goes when you root your phone u will have the same software on the phone until u flash a rom. A rom is a custom built os that devs build that make the phone better.

So root+rom= android freedome. Rooting is what u want trust me.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I see. It sounds like "flashing the rom" is essentially "reformatting the hard drive". that's what i need. in order to do that, i need to be rooted.

so in preparation for the next step, where do i find the right Rom?

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I see. It sounds like "flashing the rom" is essentially "reformatting the hard drive". that's what i need. in order to do that, i need to be rooted.

so in preparation for the next step, where do i find the right Rom?
    Correct u need to bee rooted.
    as the rom goes. That's all part of the fun trying different roms until you find the one you love.

Google xda find your phone in the HTC section and then just dive in. Into the roms. After u root