Techsperts, knowledgeable people, I challenge you!

Matt Hayes

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Your search yielded 0 useful results!

So onto the problem.

I am now the proud owner of one Samsung Galaxy SII and I can quite honestly say it is without a doubt the most amazing phone I've ever had, with one small tiny niggle...

I use this website to learn languages, it works great apart from when it comes to entering text, the website itself is flash based which the S2 does support however it doesn't seem to recognize when a text box is present, therefore it doesn't produce a keyboard to type on.

Example: Website displays an image and the english sentence "how are you?" while expecting you to type the swedish answer "Jag m?r bra" however on the line that requires the typed answer, no keyboard appears.

:(

Help? :)

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
My first thought is the site needs to learn to recognize the "Android" user agent in the browser, and not tell me it's not compatible with my iPhone due to the Flash on the site. I had to switch to the Desktop user agent to bypass that.

My second thought is to try another browser such as Dolphin and see if you have the same problem.

I am not signing up for the site, obviously, but am not having any trouble with their little signup form when you click on the big orange "try it now" button (I doubt that's a Flash form though).

Last edited:

Matt Hayes

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
So far I've tried the Dolphin HD browser, Opera Mini, the stock browser and I'm about to download a 4th from the market to test but no luck so far.

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Since I wasn't going to sign up for that site, I found an example form to use here: Flash Form Example

And indeed, the keyboard doesn't show for me (on my EVO, using Dolphin HD).

Don't really have an answer for you at the moment, but can just verify I have the same behavior with Flash-based forms.

Last edited:

Matt Hayes

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Since I wasn't going to sign up for that site, I found an example form to use here: Flash Form Example

And indeed, the keyboard doesn't show for me (on my EVO, using Dolphin HD).

Don't really have an answer for you at the moment, but can just verify I have the same behavior with Flash-based forms.
Ok thats good to know as at the very least that rules out any kind of fault with the phone itself.

With internet browsing and flash integration being such primary features of this particular phone, you would think that this issue would have generated a solution somewhere but so far I'm clueless still :(

EvilMonkey

Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
More info: I'm not a Flash developer, but this site seems to think it's a difference between using Spark and MX components on the form (and indeed, their second Flash form does work for me): Creasis Developer Community Blog ? Blog Archive ? Spark Form Components and Android Keyboard Problem

Looks like it's a problem with them coding their Flash-based forms with the Spark components rather than MX components. Probably not much you can do about it other than contact Babbel's support department. Considering they don't have an Android App and don't even check for the Android user agent, I doubt they're going to rewrite their form but you could at least make them aware of the issue.

Honestly, looking at the code it looks like it would just be a matter of them changing the letter "s" to "mx" in their components (I don't see any other differences at first glance). Again, not a Flash developer so I don't know what the difference is.

Matt Hayes

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Well you know a lot more than I do, I used to be flash savvy but as time passed I fell by the wayside heh, I thankyou for your help, I have chatted with their support team and as expected they don't officially support Android just yet so there isn't really anything that I can do, here's to fingers crossed for an Android app soon ^^