How to remove system apps through adb?

okachowwa

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I have a Captivate and would like to remove some of the AT&T bloat and I am rooted, but am on stock 2.2 with no custom recovery. I know the commands for it,
cd system/app
ls
rm Name.apk

However,
Do you have to be in recovery to do this and stuff or can I just hop into USB debugging and type that in and remove some of the system apps? I just don't want to mess up my device.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I have a Captivate and would like to remove some of the AT&T bloat and I am rooted, but am on stock 2.2 with no custom recovery. I know the commands for it,
cd system/app
ls
rm Name.apk

However,
Do you have to be in recovery to do this and stuff or can I just hop into USB debugging and type that in and remove some of the system apps? I just don't want to mess up my device.
Why don't u just use root explorer

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The phone does not need to be in recovery. You have the commands right, just make sure to reboot when you are done.

adb shell
cd system/app
ls
rm nameofapp.apk
reboot

okachowwa

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you must be rooted in order to remove apps.

Thanks, but are you sure that you don't need root because you are not using an su command anywhere and since it's through ADB you may not need root access, however my phone is rooted, but this is in case I need to do this on a friends phone that is not rooted.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, but are you sure that you don't need root because you are not using an su command anywhere and since it's through ADB you may not need root access, however my phone is rooted, but this is in case I need to do this on a friends phone that is not rooted.

You need to be rooted periord.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site

When you enter the command

adb shell

You are gaining su permissions. From terminal emulator you use su to gain access. On the computer through the sdk its adb shell.

Are you rooted? sorry about that, jumped over that part of your response.

yodatom10, show some more patience and help a little.

okachowwa

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
When you enter the command

adb shell

You are gaining su permissions. From terminal emulator you use su to gain access. On the computer through the sdk its adb shell.

Are you rooted? sorry about that, jumped over that part of your response.

yodatom10, show some more patience and help a little.

Thanks man! I appreciate it a lot you have been a great help. I'm still trying to learn haha.

batman7

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
I think this thread is kinda old, but its been helping me so far. My phone is rooted and everything, but I can't remove the system app because it is a read-only file. How do I remove that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2