Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default MicroSD card not working, need help!

I have a T-Mobile G2 with stock 8GB microsd card. I was recording a video about 45 secs into it and all of a sudden the phone froze, I am not sure if it got full caz just before taking the video I checked and there was ~1.8GB free space. After a while an message came up saying "Please insert a SD card" (something along those line), so I figured my card must be full.
    So I decided to go try and delete some file on it, only to find out all my apps installed on SD card was now unavailable, this is when I started to worry. I rebooted the phone, no luck. I shut it down and removed and replaced the SD card, no luck.
    Plugged it into a Windows PC (Win XP 32 bit), it would see it in My Computers for few seconds and would disappear, even if I try to access it, it was just disappear.
    I have some pictures and videos that I had taken on vacation which I really need, any ideas?

Currently as a temp solution I have a 4GB Microsd card in it and everything is fine (obviously, apps still not available), but I need the data from my original 8GB as this is my main concern, please help.

Btw, I have tried using recovery software such as Recuva and testdisk but since windows won't even see the drive I cannot use such software.

Thanks a ton.

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by diehardfan View Post
    I have a T-Mobile G2 with stock 8GB microsd card. I was recording a video about 45 secs into it and all of a sudden the phone froze, I am not sure if it got full caz just before taking the video I checked and there was ~1.8GB free space. After a while an message came up saying "Please insert a SD card" (something along those line), so I figured my card must be full.
    So I decided to go try and delete some file on it, only to find out all my apps installed on SD card was now unavailable, this is when I started to worry. I rebooted the phone, no luck. I shut it down and removed and replaced the SD card, no luck.
    Plugged it into a Windows PC (Win XP 32 bit), it would see it in My Computers for few seconds and would disappear, even if I try to access it, it was just disappear.
    I have some pictures and videos that I had taken on vacation which I really need, any ideas?

Currently as a temp solution I have a 4GB Microsd card in it and everything is fine (obviously, apps still not available), but I need the data from my original 8GB as this is my main concern, please help.

Btw, I have tried using recovery software such as Recuva and testdisk but since windows won't even see the drive I cannot use such software.

Thanks a ton.
    I hate to bring the bad news but form what u are saying its sounds like the SD is messed up and will have to be re reformated if i was u I would plug it info the computer copy the whole SD card onto the computer format the card and then move it all back this should fix it but chances are u apps are gone. I'm sorry I could not bring the good news. U can wait and see if any one else has any good ideas before u format it

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    I'm a android know it all with too much time on my hands
    If I've helped you make sure to hit that thanks button

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Default Re: MicroSD card not working, need help!

Try running chkdsk /r from the computer on the card. Right click on the SD Card drive, select Properties, Tools, Check disk for error and select all the options. It will most likely prompt you to reboot and it will run on the reboot.

It's worth a shot - it sounds like a file system error on the card.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by PvilleComp View Post
    Try running chkdsk /r from the computer on the card. Right click on the SD Card drive, select Properties, Tools, Check disk for error and select all the options. It will most likely prompt you to reboot and it will run on the reboot.

It's worth a shot - it sounds like a file system error on the card.
    Yeh that is my last resort, but the problem is I cannot do anything as the drive disappears 2-3 seconds after windows detects it and when I try to do anything to that drive it just freezes for a while and closes itself.

any ideas??

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Yeh that is my last resort, but the problem is I cannot do anything as the drive disappears 2-3 seconds after windows detects it and when I try to do anything to that drive it just freezes for a while and closes itself.

any ideas??
    Try putting it in a external card reader.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Quote Originally Posted by yodatom10 View Post
    Try putting it in a external card reader.
    ops, should have mentioned that it is in external card reader.

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Then all may not be lost. The card reader may be a fault. Can u try putting it in to something else

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

If you can't get the card stable enough to see on a computer or on the phone you may be hosed.

Have you tried another phone? It's a long shot based upon what you have told us so far, but worth a shot.

Sorry.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by PvilleComp View Post
    If you can't get the card stable enough to see on a computer or on the phone you may be hosed.

Have you tried another phone? It's a long shot based upon what you have told us so far, but worth a shot.

Sorry.
    tried 2 other phones, no luck

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

tried 2 other phones, no luck
    Then it sounds like the card is shot and anything that was on there is now gone. Sorry u more then likely will need to get a replacement for the card because chances are that card will never work the same ever again.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by yodatom10 View Post
    Then it sounds like the card is shot and anything that was on there is now gone. Sorry u more then likely will need to get a replacement for the card because chances are that card will never work the same ever again.
    NO!!!!
    Yoda, can you use your powers to restore my data? Might have to switch over to the dark side.......

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I would check out cardrecovery Google it. I still would not have high hopes

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    I'm a android know it all with too much time on my hands
    If I've helped you make sure to hit that thanks button