1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Default To kill, or not to kill...

I am interested in using an app killer but have hear both extreme recommendations and cautions in using such an app. I know you can force close individual running apps, but I would realy like to do it in one touch. So I would like to know what needs to run, what will automatically start any way, and what cab be safely stopped. I just got my first Android, an HTC Droid Incredible 2 by Verizon. Please try to gear any answers to that phone. Also, just which app killer would you recommend / not recommend, and why.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give.

Default Re: To kill, or not to kill...

Your question really doesn't need to be geared towards a particular phone. App killers are not needed with the OS's that run on Android. The OS is designed to manage running apps on it's own. All App killers do is fight what the OS is already designed to do.

My opinion, forget the app killer.

If I may ask, why the desire to run such an app? I have an Inc2 and I don't run an app killer. I see performance issues.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

I have used an app killer for a while and not used one for a while, there is some give and take. I used ATK for a while and the only improvement that I noticed was that it stopped battery drain during standby mode by a lot. However, some apps (like Yahoo Mail) just stopped working properly when I had it enabled. To me, its not a necessary thing to have and with the newer OSes that roll out, they will become obsolete, if they arent already.
    Nokia E71, Nokia E72, iPhone 2g, BlackBerry Bold 9000, Palm Pixi Plus, BlackBerry Torch, Samsung Captivate
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

I'm running factory 2.2 OS. I have quite a few apps installed and have started to see a shorter usage time in my factory battery. Thought the only change I could think of is the extra apps not stopping when I exit them. I find the Force Stop option available for most everything I have installed even after I exit the programmes. That is why I was looking into that kind of app.
    Themer. You've seen them

ROM
    Stock

I had an auto app killer on my Optimus V and then just a task manager, but it didn't seem to make a whole lot of difference, except to give me annoying notifications that apps were getting shut off. I didnt see the big change since you can force stop running apps under settings-->manage applications-->running... you can stop them from there. But if you insist on an app killer, it seems that any will do, just read reviews on the app market.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Thanks for all the advice. Heck of a more active community than Blackberry. Think I'm going to hold off on ATK for the moment.

You do not need a task killer on Android. The OS is designed to fill empty memory with processes. If you kill one task another will start up. That is how the OS was designed. Android doesn't want to have free memory, free memory is wasted potential. Every time you kill an app, it or another, will respawn. This is by design, it helps you launch applications faster. The OS will seamlessly and automatically kill applications in the background when it needs to make space for a more system intensive process. Unless an app is poorly coded, those apps that the task manager shows as running in the background are using zero or negligible resources.

In other words: Not to Kill
    -Ben, Long Island, NY
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4.2.2 Cyanogen Mod

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by Delenot View Post
    I'm running factory 2.2 OS. I have quite a few apps installed and have started to see a shorter usage time in my factory battery. Thought the only change I could think of is the extra apps not stopping when I exit them. I find the Force Stop option available for most everything I have installed even after I exit the programmes. That is why I was looking into that kind of app.
    Anything Froyo (2.2) or higher should not use a task killer as others have mentioned.

There are several reasons you might be experiencing battery life issues:

How many live updating widgets are you running?
    How often are you syncing your email/services?
    Any new apps require significant data streaming to work?

Just a couple of places to look for battery hogs.

Good luck!

(Processes are not Lawyers... no need to kill them all)
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Global Posts
    53 Global Posts

Excellent explanations! Thank you all for being so helpful.

ROM
    Stock

I might get a lot of flak for this, but I feel I should put my two cents in anyhow. To preface this, I am -very- new to the Android community having owned my first Android phone, a Samsung Replenish, for a mere two days. That said, I've been running a task killer for those two days and quite happily so.

Upon pulling the phone out of the box, I immediately downloaded and installed a few apps I thought would be helpful. Among those was one called "Automatic Task Killer." To be quite honest, I had never used an Android phone, and didn't know about the menu button. That inevitably led to me not figuring out how to set up that task killer and thus uninstalling it ^^ About ten minutes later, after finding the magic menu button I decided to give a task killer another go. For reasons that can only be explained as: my brain just works in weird ways, I decided on a different task killer. This time I downloaded and installed "Advanced Task Manager."

My experience thus far: Most apps that want to stay awake, will. I have Skype running in the background 24/7, despite the manager's attempts to kill it. Other apps that chose to persist tend to do so without a problem, like the Chess.com app. Case in point: the manager does -not- close apps which should persist. I have found two, and only two, exceptions to that rule, and they are the Browser app and the Market app. When downloading, if the screen turns off (my manager's signal to kill apps), then the download is stopped and restarted at 0% upon turning the screen on again. Simple fixes: either put those two apps on the ignore list, or, what I do, uncheck the apps in the manager when downloading and recheck 'em after. Oh, and as to the "annoying notifications" post, that's an option in the settings of the manager--mine has notifications turned off.

So, after all that, if you're even still reading this, you're probably wondering "Why even put up with all that in the first place?" My answer is simple: battery life. Especially in my position--read any review of a Replenish, it'll complain about battery life--preserving battery life is a key concern. Now, I can't give all credit of power saving to this one app, I mean, I'm also running a powersave governor, have my screen brightness turned down, et cetera, but I can't bring myself to uninstall it, either. I have -no- qualms with its operation and have yet to complain about my battery life on an out-of-the-box Replenish

Global Posts
    4,265 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM-7

Quote Originally Posted by dberlin View Post
    My experience thus far: Most apps that want to stay awake, will. I have Skype running in the background 24/7, despite the manager's attempts to kill it. Other apps that chose to persist tend to do so without a problem, like the Chess.com app.
    The act of the task manager killing it and the system restarting it in an endless battle is itself a battery drain. That's why most people recommend not running a task killer.

Back in Éclair and Donut (2.1 and earlier) a task killer was almost a requirement. But from Froyo on, the system does an excellent job of managing resources.

Just because an App is "running" does not mean it is consuming processor cycles/battery. It's most likely sitting in a hibernated state and using memory to maintain it's state until called upon again. If the system needs that memory, the Garbage Collector will release it and return the memory to the heap.

Like anything in the Android world it's all about choice. If running it makes you feel like you are getting better battery life, run it. No flack.
    Some say that his dormant chips were left that way for YOUR SAFETY... Others say that once "turned on," he can not be turned off... All we know is... He's called The Stig.

This is the friendliest android community on Al Gore's glorious interwebs, no flak is handed out.
    -Ben, Long Island, NY
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus 4.2.2 Cyanogen Mod