The best phone for nonprofits working in the developing world?

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site
I am looking for a phone with a long battery life, wireless capabilities, 2.0 megapixel + camera, and preferably slide-out keyboard. It does not need to be very powerful or feature-heavy, in fact the simpler it is the better. I'd rather it is CDMA and already or will soon be available for less than 100$ used or new without a contract.

To provide some context, I work for a nonprofit called SeeYourImpact. We partner with a number of charities in developing countries who record "impact stories" for us in often challenging environments. Unfortunately, recording these stories is taking an inordinate amount of time and effort for our partners, so I am developing an Android application which we will give them along with a phone to simplify and streamline the process. The phone will essentially just be a vehicle for the application, which is why CDMA would be best, to make it otherwise useless outside the States (kind of a cruel move I know, but it must be done :/ ). Also, many of our partners aren't overly familiar with technology, so the simpler the phone is to use the better.

Any recommendations are much appreciated

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
Re: The best phone for nonprofits working in the developing world

I'm not sure exactly if this would work but a slide out keyboard, pretty nice display, not too bad on battery and should be able to pick up used for very cheap now that its well over a year old.

Samsung Moment. Its a bit outdated like I said, but it might fit your needs and the age of it you should be able to find it for very cheap.

Reactions: NonProfitDroid

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Turning the cell radio off of any phone will make it last a while. Any phone you like +extended battery+cell radio off will give you great battery. I think the phone is up to you, try one with a smaller display as well.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NonProfitDroid
Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

I'm not sure exactly if this would work but a slide out keyboard, pretty nice display, not too bad on battery and should be able to pick up used for very cheap now that its well over a year old.

Samsung Moment. Its a bit outdated like I said, but it might fit your needs and the age of it you should be able to find it for very cheap.
Hmm, the Samsung Moment actually looks like an excellent option, thanks Paul :)

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

Turning the cell radio off of any phone will make it last a while. Any phone you like +extended battery+cell radio off will give you great battery. I think the phone is up to you, try one with a smaller display as well.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk
thanks for the tips NoSpin, how much do extended batteries usually cost for phones?

Jul 21, 2011
Visit site

looks good, seems fairly similar to the Samsung Moment, though it does run Android 2.1 instead of 1.5, thanks! :)