Special characters?

jamestbrewer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Anyone know where I can find a full list of special characters supported in android?
Like these: ♬♨☎✔????∑≤≥?◊√??♙♟♔♕♖♗♘♚♛♜♝♞✖

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Am sure there are some third party keyboards that will have unusual characters. The problem, is that the people you send sms to, will also have to use a keyboard that recognizes these same characters.

Just something to think about.

jamestbrewer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Am sure there are some third party keyboards that will have unusual characters. The problem, is that the people you send sms to, will also have to use a keyboard that recognizes these same characters.

Just something to think about.
Actually, I'm looking for characters supported by android, my original post was made from my nexus one running cm7, but the special characters were copied from the web but I forgot where I copied them from. Not all of the characters on the page were visible on the phone, only showing a rectangle, but were displayed when I viewed the site using windows.

I'm not sure these will even work SMS, as carriers would need to support them. I did successfully send them in an SMS to myself, but I don't think that validates it. They do work in gtalk between phone and gmail.

jamestbrewer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Here are Unicode characters I could view on my N1 running CM7 English:
★☆☎☏☜☞♀♂♔♕♖♗♘♙♚♛♜♝♞♟♠♡♢♣♤♥♦♧♨♩♪♬♭♯⚀⚁⚂⚃⚄⚅ 卍卐✔∑◊✖

I tried to only list ones that aren't available via the default gingerbread keyboard, and I know I excluded some that are invisible or hard to ID like RTL modifiers. If I find more I will post them.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You're probably right about some carriers not being able to support them, but seeing you sent an sms to yourself, and they appeared, that would sound good enough for me.

Still seems to me though, that the reciever would also need these special characters installed on their phone to view them properly. Just like in windows, if a user doesn't have a specific font installed, windows switches to a default font. And in this case with special characters, it would display garbage.

jamestbrewer

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
Here's a more complete list I compiled in about 2 hours last night:
■ ◀ □ ◁ ▲ ▣ △ ▤ ▥ ▦ ▶ ◆ ▧ ▷ ◇ ▨ ◈ ▩ ▪ ◊ ○ ▼ ◌ ▽ ◎ ● ◐ ◑ ◢ ◣ ◤ ◥ ◦ ◯ ★ ☆ ☎ ☏ ☜ ☞ ♀ ♂ ♔ ♕ ♖ ♗ ♘ ♙ ♚ ♛ ♜ ♝ ♞ ♟ ♠ ♡ ♢ ♣ ♤ ♥ ♦ ♧ ♨ ♩ ♪ ♬ ♭ ⚀ ⚁ ⚂ ⚃ ⚄ ⚅ ☎ ☞ ✓ ✔ ✕ ✖ ✘ ✧ ★ ❊ ● ■ ♥ ♦ ♣ ♠ • ○ ▲ ▼ ◆ ✓ ✔ ✕ ✖ ✘ ✧ ❊ ① ② ③ ④ ⑤ ⑥ ⑦ ⑧ ⑨ ⑩ ⑪ ⑫ ⑬ ⑭ ⑮ ⑯ ⑰ ⑱ ⑲ ⑳ ⑴ ⑵ ⑶ ⑷ ⑸ ⑹ ⑺ ⑻ ⑼ ⑽ ⑾ ⑿ ⒀ ⒁ ⒂ ⒃ ⒄ ⒅ ⒆ ⒇ ⒈ ⒉ ⒊ ⒋ ⒌ ⒍ ⒎ ⒏ ⒐ ⒑ ⒒ ⒓ ⒔ ⒕ ⒖ ⒗ ⒘ ⒙ ⒚ ⒛ ⒜ ⒝ ⒞ ⒟ ⒠ ⒡ ⒢ ⒣ ⒤ ⒥ ⒦ ⒧ ⒨ ⒩ ⒪ ⒫ ⒬ ⒭ ⒮ ⒯ ⒰ ⒱ ⒲ ⒳ ⒴ ⒵ ⓐ ⓑ ⓒ ⓓ ⓔ ⓕ ⓖ ⓗ ⓘ ⓙ ⓚ ⓛ ⓜ ⓝ ⓞ ⓟ ⓠ ⓡ ⓢ ⓣ ⓤ ⓥ ⓦ ⓧ ⓨ ⓩ

This is all Unicode, and at this point, I'm assuming that most english android roms will have this baked in. I doubt these can be used for SMS, but email, gtalk and other IP communcations can use it as long as both sides have the right fonts installed.

Last edited: