Switching SIMs between Android and BlackBerry

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'd try it, just to see what happens.

I don't think the carriers can arbitrarily change your data plans legally without first notifying you. In the worst case, they would terminate service on one of them, forcing you to contact them.

I think a lot of their terms (I say that loosely) are more intended to scare you.

kmbauer

Aug 19, 2010
www.kmbauer.com
I am on AT&T and have the BlackBerry enterprise data plan. I wanted to try out an android device especially for development. I saw the Nexus S was free today and my hope was I could get the device and switch back and forth as needed.

I called AT&T to ask about some plan details. I was told that if I place my SIM into an android phone it would activate an android data plan, I would not be able to switch back and forth on the SIM and that if I wanted to swicth to any data plan not BlackBerry I would loose my unlimited data.

Does any one know different? Is this the same on all carriers?

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I believe you can get by if you use a smartphone that is NOT in the carrier's lineup. For example using the Tmobile G2 on At&t, they may not recognize it is a smartphone. Only heard of this though, have not tried it myself.

Unfortunately most carriers require data on androids, and love activating it as soon as they notice you're using one, even if you don't want it. You could always buy unsubsidized (or try a prepaid phone like the Triumph) not put in a simcard and still use it for development, sucks I know. We would love to have you as a dev if that's any consolation.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Ekachu

Jun 19, 2011
Visit site
When I went from my BlackBerry 8520 to my myTouch 4G I had to change data plans (but I was on BIS not BES). Fortunately, being on T-Mobile everything stayed unlimited (and the Android plan was the same price as the BIS plan. Score!)

But yeah, that's pretty standard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol