Desperately in need of advise concerning purchase

gk74205

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
Greetings all.

I am seriously considering buying a tablet in the very near future for myself and my mom. I already know what I am going to get if I get an iPad, but I was hoping for an alternative to Apple. I already have a 4G wifi modem and I don't need something that touts overpriced 3G or a similarly priced wifi version...

So I was shopping around and found out that the Acer Iconia Tab A500 was in ample supply at the local big box store at a very good price compared to the other tablets available.

I was hoping people could persuade me to finally pull the trigger and go Android and buy the tablet.

Here is what I want/need the gadget to do:
1) View websites + SAVE websites as local html files
2) Print website
3) Video playback (HQ vids, including H.264 and DivX)
4) VPN
5) Run apps designed for smartphones aesthetically
6) Remote access PC (I heard this is possible )
7) Video chat (I heard Skype doesn't do video on Android, but I may be wrong)

Requirements 1 and 2 are for my mom. It is something I don't think I need, but she absolutely wants.
It a MUST regardless of what people think.

Also, what happens to apps designed for smartphone on tablets? Android is still new in Japan and Android smartphones are still a very small minority. So Android tablets are even more scarce and there is little or no apps designed for tablets. This includes the earthquake related apps I REQUIRE. So I would really like to know what apps for smartphones usually look like on tablets. (The stores do not installnor allow anything to be installed on the samples provided... grrr...)

Is the Acer Iconia A500 a good choice for the above tasks?
Do you guys have recommendations on apps I may need to fulfill my requirements?
Also are there any cases people recommend?

As I am completely new to the Android realm, any and all related input is appreciated.

Thank you!

Last edited:

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Greetings all.

I am seriously considering buying a tablet in the very near future for myself and my mom. I already know what I am going to get if I get an iPad, but I was hoping for an alternative to Apple. I already have a 4G wifi modem and I don't need something that touts overpriced 3G or a similarly priced wifi version...

So I was shopping around and found out that the Acer Iconia Tab A500 was in ample supply at the local big box store at a very good price compared to the other tablets available.

I was hoping people could persuade me to finally pull the trigger and go Android and buy the tablet.

Here is what I want/need the gadget to do:
1) View websites + SAVE websites
2) Print website
3) Video playback (HQ vids, including H.264 and DivX)
4) VPN
5) Run apps designed for smartphones aesthetically
6) Remote access PC (I heard this is possible )
7) Video chat (I heard Skype doesn't do video on Android, but I may be wrong)

Requirements 1 and 2 are for my mom. It is something I don't think I need, but she absolutely wants.
It a MUST regardless of what people think.

Also, what happens to apps designed for smartphone on tablets? Android is still new in Japan and Android smartphones are still a very small minority. So Android tablets are even more scarce and there is little or no apps designed for tablets. This includes the earthquake related apps I REQUIRE. So I would really like to know what apps for smartphones usually look like on tablets. (The stores do not installnor allow anything to be installed on the samples provided... grrr...)

Is the Acer Iconia A500 a good choice for the above tasks?
Do you guys have recommendations on apps I may need to fulfill my requirements?
Also are there any cases people recommend?

As I am completely new to the Android realm, any and all related input is appreciated.

Thank you!

1. Yes
2. Printer share app
3. Check the specs, but I think so
4. Virtual private network... Hmm, not sure

5. Should upscale apps, most work without a hitch, but don't forget devs support hundreds of different devices.

6. I believe an app can do that, check market.android.com
7. Skype supports several devices right now, but there are things
like Qik, Yahoo messenger, and a couple others more widely available.

Also check out the Asus Transformer and Toshiba Thrive. Good luck!!!!
Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

gk74205

Aug 3, 2011
Visit site
1. Yes
2. Printer share app
3. Check the specs, but I think so
4. Virtual private network... Hmm, not sure

5. Should upscale apps, most work without a hitch, but don't forget devs support hundreds of different devices.

6. I believe an app can do that, check market.android.com
7. Skype supports several devices right now, but there are things
like Qik, Yahoo messenger, and a couple others more widely available.

Also check out the Asus Transformer and Toshiba Thrive. Good luck!!!!
Thanks for the reply NoSpin.

I did consider the Asus Transformer, but I can't get it without the keyboard here in Japan and it's as heavy as my iBook G4 (that I want to leave at home). Not to mention the price ($600+).

Also, when you said I can save websites, do you mean as html files? If so that would be great.

Another quick question: What are the disappointments that Android provides? (It would be better to know before I jump :) )

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reply NoSpin.

I did consider the Asus Transformer, but I can't get it without the keyboard here in Japan and it's as heavy as my iBook G4 (that I want to leave at home). Not to mention the price ($600+).

Also, when you said I can save websites, do you mean as html files? If so that would be great.

Another quick question: What are the disappointments that Android provides? (It would be better to know before I jump :) )

Hmm, wait a sec, you want to actually save an entire web page? I took that to mean as copy and paste website bookmarks... You can copy and paste website text, but not sure if you can save a webpage as is.

Android is...different. In iOS everything works because of the restricitions apple places on it (and because devs only test on 2 devices), it's called a walled garden for a reason. In Android you need to work at it. You have incredible customization and flexibility with android, you can get a device that fits your needs exactly, but that comes with a price. Sometimes an app won't work on a device, due to the limitless hardware combos and several android versions devs need to accommodate. But I would take fragmentation over a man telling me why I don't need a hardware keyboard or a 4in screen.

Android 3.0 is probably the best tablet os on the market (it's not just a big phone like the ipad), but it is not for everyone. Occasionally some apps will force close on you, or not work correctly. In iOS everything "just works", but the reason most of us are here is because we gladly trade a few hiccups for being able to make our device our own. One platform is not better than the other, it is all personal preference. Just understand that Android is relatively young, there is plenty of room for it to grow.