Is internet access required for reading Kindle books?

lumix

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
This may sounds like a silly question but I don't have a smart phone and am thinking of getting an Android phone.

I noticed that Amazon has Kindle for Android application and I want to use the Android phone to read Kindle books.

If internet access is not required to read the Kindle book on the Android phone, then it means I can read the Kindle book in a remote area where there is no wireless service. Also, I don't incur long distance charges if I read the kindle book outside my local dialing area.

1. After I purchased the Kindle book from Amazon, do I need internet access to read the Kindle book on the Android phone (using Kindle for Android software)?

2. Is the Kindle azw file sitting physically in the Android phone?

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
With both the Kindle and Nook app you need Internet access to get the initial download of the book. 3g or Wi-Fi, either works. Once the book is downloaded to the phone then you do not have to have access in order to read them. So if you plan on being in a remote area for a while with no access, just pre-download them to your device and you'll still have something to read. (I found myself in this position last week and was glad I had downloaded all three Hunger Games books!) ;)

Reactions: lumix

lumix

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. Good to know it does not needs the internet after the initial purchase. The YouTube video I saw on Kindle for Android has screens that gave me the impression that the Kindle app on Android needs to communicate with the Amazon servers... I guess that wasn't the case.

lumix

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Just want to confirm that internet access (data plan) is not required to read Kindle books on the Android phone.

Here are my steps:

The Android phone has no data plan or has "Data Enabled" disabled

On the Android phone:
1. Turn on Wifi - phone connects to Wifi
2. Download Kindle for Android from Android Market
3. Install Kindle for Android
4. Enter the email address that I use for my Amazon.com account in Kindle for Android
5. Exit from Kindle for Android
6. Turn off Wifi

On the computer:
1. Login to Amazon.com
2. Select and buy Kindle book
3. Logoff from Amazon.com

On the Android phone:
1. Turn on Wifi - phone connects to Wifi
2. Launch Kindle for Android
3. Kindle for Android knows automatically I have purchased a book and downloads the book automatically
4. Turn off Wifi and start reading book

After downloading the book, there is no need to have internet connection or to turn on the Wifi. The book can be read without internet connection, which means you can read the book in the bus, beach, golf course, park etc

zeroseven

Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I've purchased books from Amazon to read on Nexus 7 Kindle App. Unless connected I cannot view them and can see no option to 'download' them. Bought two books last week and had a very boring flight with nothing to read

I'll stick with Google Books......