Who Pushes OTA Updates the Fastest?

fred1955

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I would like to know which manufacturer is the Fastest in pushing OTA updates to their Android devices? Thanks :)

As a former Sprint webOS/Palm Pre user, I am now strongly considering one of the following Sprint Android devices:

- Samsung Epic Touch 4G (formerly Samsung Galaxy S2)
- HTC EVO 3D
- HTC EVO 4G
- HTC EVO Shift 4G
- Motorola Photon 4G
- Google Nexus S 4G

NoSpin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
Google pushes them the fastest, though not an oem, the Nexus phones always receive updates first. Always.

It's a toss up next, HTC is good, heard similar things on Motorola as well. All oem's have vowed to work harder on updating phones, and if you don't mind hacking, Cyanogenmod always has your back.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: fred1955

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
For most of those devices the fastest updates are by Cyanogen. ;)

But I agree - the Nexus will get OEM updates faster than the others, then Moto, then HTC.

Sammy's record on OTA's has bee a little checkered.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'll take a Cyanogen Nightly over most folks Gold Tape any day! ;)

LOL

And to be fair, they do occasionally label one "Stable" for the less adventurous.

Well said!

But to the original poster, I advise that when any OTA gets released, it's always better to play it safe, and let others install them first for a few days. Wait and see what the fallout is ;) Occassionally, they put out some "duds".

fred1955

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Wow!!! Thanks everyone for your prompt responses. I appreciate them all and learned a few things already. I've been trolling these Android forums for the past month ever since Sprint gave up on releasing the Palm Pre3.

Agreed, it makes sense Google pushes updates faster than other device OEMs. I hope the Nexus "Prime" comes to Sprint. Otherwise, the Nexus S 4G is a strong candidate device for me.

Thanks to "Moscow Desire" for your input regarding OTA updates and shall proceed with caution. Also, thanks to "PvilleComp" who originally informs about updating with "Cyanogen".

:) Peace :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes