Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dchawk81
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Why move apps to SD card?

Hey there, everywhere I see instructions on how to move apps from the internal memory to the SD card. However, nowhere do I see a why - why should I do this, what's the purpose/benefit, what does moving apps to the SD card achieve? Thanks.
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

Default Re: Why move apps to SD card?

It frees space on your phones internal memory.

Some phones, only have a small internal memory. When you add the OS, there's not enough room for many apps. So if the app can be moved to the SD card, it frees more internal memory.

Some apps though, cannot be moved. Especially system apps.

A rooted phone will allow you to move more apps to sd. But not all of them.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Pardon my noobness, but what does having more internal memory let me/my phone do ?
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

Ok, I'll put this in laymans terms;

If you have a small mb internal memory, and you have a branded ph (moto, sprint, etc), after they install the Android OS and several of their own apps, you may only have 50mb free space left. Not really a whole lot of room for apps considering you just bought the phone.

Also, consider things like sms texts, contacts, etc, all going to your internal memory. As a result, when we try to download something from the market, it tells us not enough space available.

So, any apps we can move to the sd card, we do.

So the more internal memory you have, the more apps you can install without having to worry about moving them. Especially on a branded phone.

Like Moscow said, if you only have 50MB of internal memory you will only have room for a few apps before you start getting memory full messages. If you start getting memory full messages you will not be able to install apps. Where as your SG card has 8GB, 16GB, or maybe even 32GB (depending on the size of your card). This is a whole lot more room for apps to be installed onto.

Global Posts
    6,746 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Quote Originally Posted by jaeiger View Post
    Pardon my noobness, but what does having more internal memory let me/my phone do ?
    What model phone do you have? Perhaps we can also help you identify if you will have nothing to worry about in the memory department

Welcome to AC!

Is cache also stored within the internal memory? (I'm constantly having apps force close on me. I read that the application's cache is too big and thus causing it to force close). Now, I'm wondering if it's related to the amount of space I have within my internal memory.
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

Quote Originally Posted by Issemann View Post
    Is cache also stored within the internal memory? (I'm constantly having apps force close on me. I read that the application's cache is too big and thus causing it to force close). Now, I'm wondering if it's related to the amount of space I have within my internal memory.
    It's a good possibility. I'm not an expert on how the Android OS handles it's cache memory, but I've seen many strange issues fixed by clearing cache memory. But it would make sense to me. I would think it's like any OS, and when memory gets low, something has to give. Ands usually, the OS has self preservation in mind.

Keep in mind, a force close can also be caused by incompatibility with another program or Rom/Kernel, or just horrible coding.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    What model phone do you have? Perhaps we can also help you identify if you will have nothing to worry about in the memory department

Welcome to AC!
    I have an HTC Evo 3D. About out of the box-ish, I had just under 1 gig for internal memory and ~2.75 on the included SD

ROM
    Infinity & Pool Party

I have a Droid Charge which has a listed internal memory of 2GB, but is really more like 1.5. I have over 200 apps, over 200 contacts, tons of texts saved, and still have 500MB free on my internal memory. I have never seen a need to move apps to the sd card.
    Shouldn't we treat this world like the Garden of Eden and avoid the apple at all costs?

Sometimes you go to the circus...........Sometimes the circus comes to you.

Instructions on how to flash ROMs, Kernels, Patches, and Mods through clockworkmod recovery, CWM: DroidXcon's CWM Thread

If you add me on Google+, please list your AC username as a nickname so I know who you are.

Your phone's storage is a garage. Put too much crap in there and you can't fit your car. To make room for the car, that crap has to be put somewhere else. Some garages are bigger than others, so they can fit all your crap, plus your car and your cousin's boat.

I have an HTC Evo 3D. About out of the box-ish, I had just under 1 gig for internal memory and ~2.75 on the included SD
    The SD card that came with the phone includes some setup info needed to get your phone going and it limits some of the storage space available on the card. Some phones come with a 2GB cards, others 8GB cards, etc. Your's came with an 8GB card, so you should have enough external memory for a while. If you need more storage, you can always upgrade to a 16GB or even a 32GB card. Just make sure you get a quality one. Remember, cheaper is not always better. And, if you do change/replace your SD card, make sure you remove it properly from you phone, (Menu>Settings>SD & phone storage>Unmount SD card) before removal/replacement. A good app to have is App 2 SD, which you can get on the Android Market. It will let you know which apps can be moved to your SD card.

Good luck! And make Android Central a daily routine stop for yourself. Help is always available here.