Apps without service

ZMaine

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
My fiancee recently switched to iPhone (sorry if that's a curse word around here) and gave me her Droid Incredible. I can't afford a data package at the time, so it has no service whatsoever. I was wondering if there was a way to install apps through USB cable. I know you can using the Astro file manager, but from what I read you need service to install it. Is there any way around this?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm confused. You're getting married, but you can't afford a data connection?

You could use the wifi, but, I'm not sure if it will work without it being activated.

Keep in mind, I dont own a dinc, but I believe you can use the wifi feature without a data plan or at least a 10$ plan. Then you can download apps through wifi.

As an alternate method, you can push install apps using Android Development Kit.

Last edited:

ZMaine

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I can't even get a Wi-Fi MAC address, so it probably has to be activated for me to see it.

And I can't afford a data package because we're saving up to get married :p

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the response. I can't even get a Wi-Fi MAC address, so it probably has to be activated for me to see it.

And I can't afford a data package because we're saving up to get married :p

Well said ;)

I figured the Dinc won't work without activation.

Use ADK. You'll get an education about android.

I also heard rumor, that HTC Sync might also do this, but I have never tried. I rooted and Rom'd before I ever got the chance to look into it.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It should connect to WiFi without problems. Try rebooting the device and reconnecting or set it up manually.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

ZMaine

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
ADK sounds promising, but I'm not about to spend money on a $30 circuit board just to put Apps on a droid. Thanks for the suggestion though.

ZMaine

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
It should connect to WiFi without problems. Try rebooting the device and reconnecting or set it up manually.

The wifi I'd be using is at my fiancee's parent's house, where it's required to enter a MAC address to allow usage of the internet. If I can't get a MAC address, no wifi.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
The wifi I'd be using is at my fiancee's parent's house, where it's required to enter a MAC address to allow usage of the internet. If I can't get a MAC address, no wifi.

And I suppose, it has to be the mac address of the device that's registered with the ISP....

On a windows PC, it's easy to change. Not sure about android. So you might be buggared there. Unless of course, you use a w-less router which maintains a Mac address registered with the ISP. In this case, you can use numerous devices.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance