Parrot Mki9100 and Voice Commands

tlaz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I have searched everywhere I know, and I haven't found an answer to this. I just switched to a Motorola Photon, and suddenly its fantastic voice dialing has been comandeered by the god-awful voice command app in my phone. Parrot was nearly flawless, and the Photon/Google voice recognition is abysmal. My Palm Pre, My wife's and daugther's BB's and an EVO 3D all worked just fine with the Parrot. Anyone know how to get the BT hands-free dialing on Parrot to re-take control? Would love any ideas/help on this!

tlaz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Update:

I've installed Vlingo instead of the stock Voice Commands app and it seems like it has now made peace with my Parrot. All voice calls go through Vlingo when I initiate them on my Parrot remote. Still some quirks with using other aspects of Vlingo, like nav or search. Once initiated, the apps comandeer the Parrot unit, making it stay "on" until I manually disconnect them. The downside is that my Parrot would kindly return me to my stereo's radio or other music automatically once a call ended. This doesn't happen now when I've used Vlingo to search or nav. It's now been downgraded to annoyance rather than dealbreaker.

tlaz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
Update #2

Happy to report that I spent some time with Voice Commands, and it's working a lot better! I opened the App, hit the menu button, then tapped Adaptation. I spent about 5 minutes saying various commands and names so that the software could better understand my voice. Now I'd say VC is up to about a B+ in voice recognition, it's not the Parrot, but it's even better than Vlingo, and it's now having very few issues/incompatibilities working with my car kit. I guees if you actually work with the app before slamming it, you can sometimes figure it out. :-[

Regardless, I'm loving the Photon.

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I was thinking of going with the parrot device in a new used vehicle I picked up.

Do you play music through it?
If so, how is the quality and does it mute while a call comes in or is placed?

I am actually looking into the 9200.

tlaz

Jul 31, 2011
Visit site
I had played music quite a bit with through the phone, and the quality was always fine to my ear. Not any different than with a direct line out to the car's stereo. Yes, the music is muted when the call comes in. The phone actually does that part. Parrot basically supersedes your car's radio and music system. If you have a call or are playing music (or games and videos - like my kids do) the radio or cd player is muted.

Really like the parrot, but it certainly doesn't play as nicely with the Photon as it did with my old Pre.