Unable to unjoin contacts

magreenfield

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I am using a Samsung Galaxy S, with a program called DejaOffice. It syncs with a PC remotely just fine. Then it syncs with the native Android database. Recently it has started "joining" two similar contacts (Mother and Daughter, same home address, different cells numbers, different first names). The Android does this by itself. A contact disappears from the Android contacts database, and I go check one of the two contacts and find that the other has been joined to it. When I edit the remaining contact there are two Phone tabs, each with the correct information in it. I understand that if I then push the menu on the phone, there should be an option to Unjoin. But nothing happens when I press that menu button. If I simply select the contact (edit is then one of the menu choices), there is a Join menu selection (which works), but not an unjoin option.

Has anyone seen this problem? Is there some way to unjoin two joined contacts????

I'm using Froyo.

Walpy

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey, I had the same problem on my Samsung Galaxy Pro B7510 (Android 2.2 Froyo) when I first connected to Gmail. After a little search I found out how to unjoin contacts:

- Go to a contact that has multiple icons of the same "account" (Google in my case) and open it.
- Scroll down to "Joined contacts" where you can see again two or more of the same icons. Click on it.
- Now you can separate the contacts by pressing the "minus" sign for each joined contact.

Cheers!

edenney

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Had the same problem. Two of my Google contacts somehow got magically joined and for the life of me I couldn't find the option to unjoin them. They really made it pretty cryptic imo, compared with the method you use to join them. Thanks for the info, definitely helped me!

DBCoogee

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone found a way to prevent contacts joining automatically? Or separating all the contacts with a single command.
I have over 3000 contacts and keep them in a master file on my PC. From time-to-time I copy them to my phone. Worked great with Blackberry and my iPhone.
When I import them to my Samsung S3 (using KIES), they arbitrarily join up. Different first names, different companies but the become a single entry in the Contacts list.. When I want to phone someone I cannot find the correct number. I can see all the numbers but have no idea which belongs to which person.
Then if I receive a phone call the wrong name appears. Very embarrassing.
I cannot go through 3000 contacts separating them manually. It would take forever.
Is there a way of turning this feature off?
Or can someone at least explain the logic by which this happens. Is it an Android or a Samsung problem?

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
When you edit the contact and hit menu you don't see an option for separate? When I join contacts I get that option. Not sure if it'll be there if they are automatically joined, like you are saying.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Android Central Forums

Al Duchaney

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
When I press the minus to separate contacts I get the message: "Contacts separated", but they are still linked.

I am unable to edit native contacts in general. I get a message reading: "Unable to edit from this application".

DejaOffice does all the editing of contacts, but I see no way to un-join contacts with similar first or last names that are different people. I am using a Note 2 with CompanionLink to sync with Outlook.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance