1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Are any Android phones designed to work w. a charging POD?

We will be coming from BB land. All BB phones are designed to be used with a conforming charging pod that allows you to simply slip the phone in the pod (vertically) and charge the phone. Not only don't you have to bother constantly inserting the charger wire into the micro usb port, when in that position the phone displays the time in LARGE numerals. Great for on a nitestand.
    These items for a BB are less than $10 on Amazon. Didn't see any for other makes of phones, leading me to believe no other phone maker has this feature.

A couple hours later. Did find a site that sells charging "docks" ("cradles", terms seem to be used interchangeably with "pod") for some Android phones.
    Last edited by Mikethaler; 08-21-2011 at 12:22 AM.
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

Default Re: Are any Android phones designed to work w. a charging POD?

I too had done some searching awhile back, and basically came up with little options.

I suspect the problem lies with the mini-usb connection, where as the contacts are not exposed (allowing for easy contact to the cradle), thus making a cradle rather inconvienant. You'd probably have to "fiddle" with it before it would eventually plug in, thus increasing the chances of damaging the connector.

But I also wish there was a cradle option.

Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    ROM
    Andromadus Mimicry

I believe Tmobile makes cradles for the myTouch line, and samsung has a horizontal dock for several galaxy s variants on amazon.

Wish more manufacturers would make it standard.

Sent from my T-mobile G2 using Tapatalk
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

I found several at amazon.co.uk today.

At least for some HTC models.

Quote Originally Posted by Moscow Desire View Post
    I suspect the problem lies with the mini-usb connection, where as the contacts are not exposed (allowing for easy contact to the cradle), thus making a cradle rather inconvienant. You'd probably have to "fiddle" with it before it would eventually plug in, thus increasing the chances of damaging the connector.
    It's not a problem in and of itself. There are certainly a number of Android device docks that connect via the microUSB connector. My Droid's desktop and car docks are like this.

A number of the Droids have charging docks. Most still use the usb connector. The Casio Commando has a separate set of contacts for its dock.
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

I think, it takes awhile for cradles, to catch up with the plethora of android phones emerging on the market every day.

8 months ago, I couldn't find a cradle for my Desire, and now, tons of them.

Casio??? They make watches and calculators....right? Please don't tell me they make phones also.....

Joking of course

Still waiting for a "docking station" similar to,,,uhgggg ipod/phone, which contains amplified speakers......