Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy App downloaded but didn't install

I apoligize if this has been answered or addressed, but I cannot seem to find an answer.

I have downloaded a couple apps recently while in an area with a low signal. Not realizing that my phone was just waiting for the market to acknowledge the request I told it to download multiple times. As soon as I realized that it was downloading multiple copies I canceled all of them that I could, however, there was one that I could not cancel. When I would check the market it would not say that I was downloading anything, but my notifications area showed that clearly I was. Once the download finished the app did not install. Now I'm stuck thinking that the data downloaded for the app is taking up space on my phone but I cannot find it to remove it. I assume that the apk is just sitting somewhere taking up space but I cannot find it to remove it. I can download and install the app again, but that doesn't help the fact that this 8mb downloaded for the app the first time is sitting on my phone somewhere unused since the market did not acknowledge/track it.

Can someone please help me with this issue?

Thanks.

Global Posts
    7,416 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Default Re: App downloaded but didn't install

Have you tried rebooting the phone? This sometimes happen, particularly when an app is being updated. Also, go into menu > settings > applications > Manage and sort by size. Look for the biggest files and clear the caches. If you don't see the app you downloaded here then don't worry about it -- it most likely has not made it into the phones system.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    Have you tried rebooting the phone? This sometimes happen, particularly when an app is being updated. Also, go into menu > settings > applications > Manage and sort by size. Look for the biggest files and clear the caches. If you don't see the app you downloaded here then don't worry about it -- it most likely has not made it into the phones system.
    I have rebooted and when I look at the applications in the settings it is not there either. So what happned to the 8mb's that my phone downloaded. You think it automatically deleted it?

Downloaded apps are sitting in cache (in internal storage on phones with enough storage, although my old nexus one would store them in /sdcard/Downloads - at least it did so before gingerbread ...)

Cache gets cleared regularly enough, especially after reboots so don't worry.

Also don't worry if you press download a few times and it looks as if an app will download and install multiple copies. In my experience, the market and android are smart enough to install only one copy of the app.

Sent from my SH-13C using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    7,416 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

I agree with the above regarding multiple app downloads. You'll only have one copy install even though you see multiple downloads.

If its not on the phone you shouldn't worry about it -- although I don't blame you if it does
    Smarty Pants

ROM
    Stock

If I were to guess you are recieveing error 18 failure to install.
    This is the corrupted android_secure file, 2.2 Froyo's Apps2SD system has been like that since it came out. The fix is to unmount the SD card then install the app, then remount the card. Also you should move all apps back to the phone, then delete the android_secure folder then reboot. From there you should be able to move your apps back to the the card.
    Im T rop per and I approve this message
    Thanks for watching = T

It happened to me too. Then I realized I moved all apps, including Google Play Store and Google Play Services on my SD, to make space in internal memory. I did download some apps multiple times and nothing happened after the download (had to search with an app manager such as Astro and manually install); then I thought "what if...?". I moved Google Play Services bacj to internal memory and the already downloaded apps started installing. Since GPServices is a little more than one MB and GPStore is about 9MB, you can keep the latter on the SD but GPServices has to be in internal. Solved