Home Screen Redraw on other phones?

yacoubean

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I am still rocking the Motorola Droid (yes, the original). Most of you probably know that this phone has a problem with home screen redraws after you leave an app. If you're not familiar, this means the home screen is blank for a while (no app icons). On my phone this redraw can take up to a minute, sometimes less sometimes more. I am NOT looking for a solution to this, because after trying millions of ideas, I've given up and I just live with it.

What I want from you guys is to know if this happens on other phones. I always thought this was just a problem with OgDroid, but I read in the Droid Bionic hands on review posted in these forums that the Droid 3 has the same problem (although it redraws a lot faster than my phone.) He said the Bionic does not have this problem. Have you all seen this problem in a lot of other phones, or is it just Motorola phones? I am due for an upgrade this month, and I REALLY don't want to see this screen redraw issue ever again in my life, if I can avoid it. I'm dearly hoping this isn't a general Android OS problem.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Nope. Never had it with several Rom's. Wife had it for a brief period with a Z, but it was some useless utility apps she "swore" wasn't causing it. Not to mention a couple of games.

Not to mention there were some apps, that really shouldn't run from SD.

yacoubean

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Wife had it for a brief period with a Z, but it was some useless utility apps she "swore" wasn't causing it. Not to mention a couple of games.

Not to mention there were some apps, that really shouldn't run from SD.

Which phone is the Z? You blame her problems on apps, but in my opinion NOTHING should cause this home screen redraw. The fact that your wife's phone exhibits the exact problem I'm seeing with the Og Droid scares me.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Which phone is the Z? You blame her problems on apps, but in my opinion NOTHING should cause this home screen redraw. The fact that your wife's phone exhibits the exact problem I'm seeing with the Og Droid scares me.

Apps, alone, are generally ok. But when you combine them with other apps, well, some kids just don't play well together.

It's not an issue with the OS, it's an issue with the apps themselves. Fighting over resources, memory conflicts, etc.

It's like 2 dogs fighting over the same bone. Eventually, one will win, but in the meantime, the OS has to wait until one wins.

In this case, it was the Desire Z. But I've had the same issues with other phones.

yacoubean

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It's not an issue with the OS, it's an issue with the apps themselves. Fighting over resources, memory conflicts, etc.

In this case, it was the Desire Z. But I've had the same issues with other phones.

I disagree, it's a problem with the OS, or maybe with the mods that phone makers have done. I am a developer by trade, so I understand how these things work. The OS could keep the home screens in protected memory so that other apps don't push them out of memory.

I did a little research and I think the secondary problem here is RAM. All of the devices mentioned so far (OgDroid, Moto Droid 3, Desire Z) have 512 MB or less. The Bionic has 1 GB, and the reviewer said he saw no screen redraws.

Again, the Android OS could make sure this doesn't happen, it shouldn't be a matter of RAM. Maybe Ice Cream Sandwich fixes this.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I won't argue with you. I'd love to, but its saturday night, went to restraunt with preggy wife, many liters of beer ;)

But if I had a phone, that did 2 minute redraws, and it did the same on a fresh OS with 0 apps, I'd be using it for a doorstop! And I wouldn't think twice about it.

I run a lot of apps, mind you, not at the same time. And at the first sign of trouble, it's hasta la vista.

If it were a problem with the OS, it would effect most devices, not just one. Like Windows ME :mad::mad::mad:

yacoubean

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Well, arguing about the cause is getting away from my original question, anyway, which is if this is happening on other phones. You stated you've seen the problem on the Desire Z, and a few other phones.

Have any of you other guys seen the home screen redraw problem on other phones? Particularly on newer phones that have more RAM than these old guys?