new tablet questions

lkell

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Ehm, I got this tablet just yesterday and I have been loving it but I've had some questions:
1. Should I download android 3.2 and if so how do I backup my files before the download and how do I actually do the download itself?
2. Is there a way to keep a tab running while I switch to another, or better yet keep it running once I exit the browser? (My dad likes to listen to an internet radio program called lbc97.3 but I have to stay on the tab in the browser or else the audio stops playing)
3. What is rooting and should I do it?
Thank you very much for any help you can give! :)

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Which Tablet?

1. Android 3.2 should be an update, although I don't know if it's available yet for your device. You shouldn't need to back up anything when doing an OTA (over the air) update. Usually, to see if an update is available, go to Settings and look for your android version, and select the "check for updates".

However, it's always best to back up important things to your SD, on occassion. Like for example your contacts (if you have a tablet with 3g, or your skype contacts)

2. To open another tab, while in your browser, select Menu, open tab/new window. This should keep the other tab open.

3. Rooting, gives you access to the (normally secured) android operating system. The advantages are that some apps require root access, like backup apps for example. Screen shot apps, and most importantly, it allows installation of most apps to your sd card (instead of internal memory). Also, it allows uninstalling some of the bloatware apps that the manufacturer installed. With tablets, it's not as important when compared to phones, as tablets have much larger internal memories.

Of course rooting is the prerequisite to flashing a custom rom. There is tons of info about this subject in this site, so you may want to read up on it, before doing it.

lkell

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Which Tablet?

1. Android 3.2 should be an update, although I don't know if it's available yet for your device. You shouldn't need to back up anything when doing an OTA (over the air) update. Usually, to see if an update is available, go to Settings and look for your android version, and select the "check for updates".

However, it's always best to back up important things to your SD, on occassion. Like for example your contacts (if you have a tablet with 3g, or your skype contacts)

2. To open another tab, while in your browser, select Menu, open tab/new window. This should keep the other tab open.

3. Rooting, gives you access to the (normally secured) android operating system. The advantages are that some apps require root access, like backup apps for example. Screen shot apps, and most importantly, it allows installation of most apps to your sd card (instead of internal memory). Also, it allows uninstalling some of the bloatware apps that the manufacturer installed. With tablets, it's not as important when compared to phones, as tablets have much larger internal memories.

Of course rooting is the prerequisite to flashing a custom rom. There is tons of info about this subject in this site, so you may want to read up on it, before doing it.

Thank you so much for the info. I have an acer500. However, what I meant in #2 is that I'll still have that tab open but when I click a different tab the music player on the one I just left will stop. I didn't close it I. Just went to a new one. Also I will read up on the from thing because I did want to get pokemon fire red on this :D.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so much for the info. I have an acer500. However, what I meant in #2 is that I'll still have that tab open but when I click a different tab the music player on the one I just left will stop. I didn't close it I. Just went to a new one. Also I will read up on the from thing because I did want to get pokemon fire red on this :D.

Because the music is playing on the browse it will stop when the browser is closed. You need an app to play the music to keep it from closing. Try iheartradio Nd see if the station comes up.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk