Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anybody know how to purge the trash on Android? (NOT EMAIL)

I'm not talking about email or any app-specific trash. I mean if I delete a file from my Android device, how can I purge it from the trash (as in Windows/Mac Recycle Bin or Linux Trash Can)?

Thanks

Global Posts
    10,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Default Re: Anybody know how to purge the trash on Android? (NOT EMAIL)

What device? OS? And are you rooted? Just go into settings and programs to un install an app. If your rooted, you have system control, if not, you don't and can't get rid of bloat.

Global Posts
    10,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Use a good file manager app like astro for non app files.

Global Posts
    10,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Use rom manager to delete system cache and davlik. Requires root.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks...

I'm talking about files that I deleted with Astro. They are still on the card, in trash. Instead of waiting for the system to determine that the file space is needed, I want to permanently delete them from my card. I could stick the card in my PC and do it that way, but there's got to be a way to do it within Android itself, without using ROM Manager, no?

Thanks again

Global Posts
    7,433 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

is it in a ".filename" folder? It looks like an app you are using has created a folder on the sd card to keep cached items. You can delete the folders but they will continue coming back as long as the app is in use. Also, the phone will not delete the cached items on the sd card, unless you are using it as an ext partition.

Global Posts
    10,575 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Quote Originally Posted by rogodeter View Post
    Thanks...

I'm talking about files that I deleted with Astro. They are still on the card, in trash. Instead of waiting for the system to determine that the file space is needed, I want to permanently delete them from my card. I could stick the card in my PC and do it that way, but there's got to be a way to do it within Android itself, without using ROM Manager, no?

Thanks again
    I purged 14 gb of trash by backing up important files and then formating sd card from device.

Is it just ASTRO that does that? I use Root Explorer and it just deletes the files, no recycle bin.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

I am not sure if it is just Astro but I kind of doubt it. I was just browsing the filesystem on the SD card and found a .Trash-1000 folder, with the exact same sub-directory format as is in my desktop Linux (Debian)... So, I assume they are both using some hook provided with the filesystem (maybe this is part of ext4 functionality).

So Rag when you said that Root File Explorer deletes it, one of two things are happening I guess... Either it does just delete it, without utilizing the "trash" step (something you can of course also do in Windows/Mac/Linux)... OR, it is still using the "trash" step but you don't know about it because it might not include the contents of the "trash" folder when it shows you your remaining disk space. Can you confirm that?

On Debian
    ~/.local
    ../share
    ../Trash
    ../expunged
    ../files
    ../info

On my Android SD Card
    /.Trash-1000
    ../expunged
    ../files
    ../info