tablet vs laptop

emdee81

Feb 13, 2010
Visit site
Hello everyone.

I've been very close to pulling the trigger on a tablet (galaxy or xoom most likely). I have a 1 year old laptop right now and here is my issue. I use my laptop almost exclusively to surf the web. That's it. I don't have MS office, and when I need to create a document of some type I use open office or Gdocs. Other than that, I have my music on my laptop (zune) and photos.

In looking at a tablet I know I would use it to surf the web, play some games, multimedia stuff, reading books, and taking notes in class.

I guess my question is will a tablet be a good "home computer" replacement. Is it secure enough to make purchases/ pay bills? Will the tablet be more of a hybrid device, combining what I do on my phone with what I do on my laptop?

Thanks for sharing your opinions...

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about paying bills, but purchasing should be no different on a tablet than on your PC. If you're just using it for web browsing, then it would definitely a good replacement. You should always keep your laptop, just in case you need to do some heavy typing, etc., but as long as you have a good working laptop, it's worth it. You put it well with the hybrid question, it's a good balance of both ends of the spectrum.

Smitty_82

Android Addict
Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I pretty much only use my laptop for rooting and working with videos. I do most everything on my phone or tab. Always good to have a laptop handy if needed. I got my tab over a new laptop (currently a 6 year old computer running Ubuntu). I also have a keyboard for my tab if I need to do a lot of typing.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm throughly satisfied with my tablet. It does what I wish. Lightweight, portable, longer battery life.

Yes, a laptop is portable but bulky and heavy.

But for raw computing power, one still needs a laptop/notebook.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I think the only thing that keeps me from completely moving to a tablet is printing. There are apps for printing on Android, but they really don't do everything. If I need to print a receipt, or print something from a website, most of the printing apps try to log a new web thread, so the data is lost (and login screens reappear).

For work, needing apps like PhotoShop, and the ability to develop apps keep me needing a Windows-based system around.

But, if you don't do any of those things, having the portability of a tablet would definitely be a good option.

superthunder12

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
I like laptops cause I really want to use it specially in my job, but I also like the tablet cause it was easy to use. So I like it too.

Funky Cricket

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
If you are a home user, don't want to do file transfer (SMB shares), and primarily just do web stuff with no document, picture, video editing or use any programs other then web browser, then the tablet will probably serve most of your needs with a few annoyances here and there.

If you do anything else, you will still need a laptop, but maybe get by with using your tab most of the time.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Tabs are nice, at night, for one reason, when you sit at night with your tablet, checking mail, FB, or just playing a game....

If you're not clocked to 1.6mhz,,,,,, and are running normal at 1.5,,,,,, Your balls will not cook!!!! Or your clamshell, take your pick....

The judge has rendered a decision...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
I purchased an iPad (waits for it...) for my wife last Christmas and find it very convienent when lounging around the house and don't have to take the laptop with me. Last week she bought me a Galaxy Tab 10.1 for our anniversary and I've had it glued to me for the time we've been home.

It's perfect for browsing, reading, multi-media, game playing, etc. Pretty much everything the OP is looking to do with a tablet. Will it replace a pc? That really depends on the end user and how intense a computer is needed. It's hard to suggest the tablet over a pc to someone, especially if you don't know their computing habits.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7