Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Application Email has stopped unexpectedly

I am posting in case anyone else has this problem.

I got the error message:

SORRY!

The application Email (process com.android.email) has stopped unexpectedly. Please try again.

I searched around the web and found a few suggestions--most of which were major overkill. BTW, I did not see this addressed here at AC.

Suggestions were to do a hard reset or to go to manage applications and clear email data. The first requires completely re-setting up your phone. The second just requires re-entering all email server data for all accounts. Not as bad as a hard reset, but still a pain. It turns out that neither is necessary.

Someone posted that the problem is caused by an email bug that causes a crash when a certain email with non-standard headers comes in. Since I had only two new emails since the last check, I figured it had to be one of those two.

I am using an IMAP server for work email. The other 2 (personal) accounts (both POP3 and IMAP) were fine and did not cause the crash.

I moved the two new emails to folders in my IMAP account (on a laptop) and restarted my Nexus One. Problem solved.

BTW, the emails were ones that I needed to leave in the inbox for reference tomorrow, so I forwarded them to myself. The apparently conforming email header format of me to myself did not pose a problem and left the offending email in my inbox so that I would remember to deal with it.

Given the somewhat drastic advice on the web, I thought others would appreciate a non-nuclear option.

Cheers,

aviduser
    1995-Newton Message Pad 2000 | 1998-Palm V | 1999-Palm V8 (upgrade) | 2000-Palm m505 | 2001-Palm m515 | 2003-Kyocera 7135 | 2004-Treo 600 (woc) | 2006-Treo 700p (wc) | 2007-Treo 680 (wc) | 2008-Another Treo 680 (wc) (unlocked) | 2010-Google Nexus One | 2011-NookColor (hacked) | 2012-Galaxy Nexus | 2012-Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 wifi