Buying from the US & using in the UK

gumpty

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

Long-time lurker, first time poster here.

I'm heading off to New York tomorrow and want to make use of the US's low taxes by buying an Android tablet (most likely Sammy 10.1 or 8.9 - but possibly an Asus or Xoom), and am keen to pick one up there that has a 3G radio. I'm wondering what pitfalls I should watch out for.

The most basic is, will a 3G US version work in the UK? And do they come locked to a US network? I'm guessing everything else (the wifi etc) will work fine over here, apart from getting a new power cord of course.

Any tips you can think of? I really would prefer a 3G version, even though they are harder to find. But push come to shove I may settle for a wifi-only model. If it comes locked to a network, is it easy enough to unlock later?

Thanks, gumpty.:D

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
If you buy from a carrier in the US, you "may" get them to unlock the device to use on carriers abroad. Just explain the situation. They don't like it sometimes, but it is not illegal according to US law.

If they are a-holes, they may refuse you. In this case, you will need to get the device unlock code from the internet. Usually $10 will get you the unlockode to enter.

This will free the GSM device to use in the UK. Note, you will only get 3g at best. And, you probably won't get updates, and will have to do them manually. And,,,, those damn "skins" they put on, may cause minor problems.

But, if you can "root" the device, you should be able to remove them. Or maybe install a custom "stock" android rom.

Reactions: gumpty

gumpty

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Moscow.

Can you buy them from retailers in any 'unlocked' or 'sim-free' state (i.e. straight from a distributer having not been through a carrier's import process).

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Not in the states, Typically, you buy them from the carrier. They have 2 prices. 1 which has a contract, and 2, whis is an outright purchase without a contract,

The last mobile I bought in the states, was a Nokia, full price, and it was sold as "unlocked". But that was 7 yrs ago.

So you'll have to just presuade them. Flowers, restraunts, the usual stuff (if it's a girl). Alcohol will usually suffice if it's a guy ;)

But times have changed, so it may cost a little more than flowers or supper. ;)

But really, just explain the situation. They would rather have a sale, than no sale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463