Just lookin for thoughts

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
I have recently been foolish enough to buy a Droid X2 used on the net. Turns out it was reported stolen, and replaced by insurance. ppl I bought it from are avoiding me, so now i have a $150 papper weight. Just wondering if there is anything i can do, even if i cant use it as a phone, maybe use it like a pda. but i cant even get past the activate screen. Any help greatly appreciated.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, it happens. Best bet, is to research the EIN number with the carrier before buying.

About a month ago, some users had the same issue, so do a search and you should come up with the bypass activation procedure. It's simple, I just don't remember. Then you should be able to access the wifi and such.

Also, depending on how well the carriers are tied in together, you can get the unlock code from places on the net (just search), and it will unlock it for other carriers. I've heard you wouldn't have issues with carriers in other countries, but not sure if it would work in the states on like Megaphone or something.

mamawM

May 17, 2010
Visit site
seems to me like you could contact law enforcement and let them go after the people who sold it to you for selling stolen goods.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I would file a complaint with the local PD and notify the carrier that the subscriber sold you a lost/stolen phone that was replaced...that's insurance fraud.

rbrad68

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Wow, sorry to hear this. It sounds like you may have to chalk this one up as a lesson learned because this sometime happens when you're dealing with unscupulous idiots on the internet. Sorry about your lost.
Rickey

monsieurms

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
How did you buy it? Places like ebay and PayPal have various dispute options to open complaints and you might well get a refund.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, if you feel it's stolen, and you contact the police, not only will you be out $150 bucks, but the device as well as they will confiscate it. Not to mention several hours at the police station answering questions, filling paperwork. Also, you'll be added to the "watch" list for buying and receiving stolen property. Probably be added to the "additional security" list at airports and train stations. With the way things are nowdays, who knows what else will happen.

After all, you paid $150 for a $300 phone. Well under the retail value. So they will say you should have known it was stolen.

Probably, some idiot didn't want to pay his/her bill, and reported it stolen to get out of the contract, so they could get a newer phone.

Bypass the activation, unlock it, and hope for the best. Cops "should" have better things to do, than to waste resources tracking stolen phones.

Stolen donut trucks, are different a story....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non