Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Help needed removing phone features from Optimus S

I just need to remove like the banner and the signal bars on the pulldown bar. I'm trying to make the phone just like an iPod touch for my kid brother, no phone or messaging features, just browser, app store, media player etc. Anyone know how to hide the provider/network/carrier stuff on the phone? Thanks
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

Default Re: Help needed removing phone features from Optimus S

If your phone is stock (non-rooted), this will be a hard thing to do, as you wish to disable some system apps.

It's a cdma phone, so you should need only to terminate the account, the wifi should still function. At least in theory. But you'll still have the dialer app and messaging app, they just won't work, and you should be able to delete the icons. If you get prompted with an "activation" screen, you should be able to find the codes to bypass it.

But, it you wish to have the account still active, and want to uninstall system apps, then you will need to root the device. You can then uninstall the messaging app, and probably the dialer app. In theory as I've never uninstalled the dialing app . You have to be very careful about removing system apps.So always have a full backup before doing this.

As far as hiding the carrier info within the settings menu, no.

Notification bar, not that I'm aware of, although with some "custom" roms, you may be able to turn off this feature.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks, yeah I'm rooted and I got rid of the mms.apk and the dialer too but I just wish I could get rid of that damn (no service) banner on the lock screen and in the pulldown bar lol
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

Yeah, just kind of annoying to have that 1 little thing left
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by Moscow Desire View Post
    Yeah, just kind of annoying to have that 1 little thing left
    Dammit lol

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

Can you tell what .apks you removed? I'm trying to do the same to an EVO with a broken microphone. I thought I'd turn it into a Touch-like device for my kids to play games, listen to music and watch videos.
    Last edited by webslappy; 10-05-2011 at 12:21 PM. Reason: missed word

Global Posts
    621 Global Posts

I was thinking of installing CM7 and LauncherPro and just hiding all the icons that I don't want them to use. That's my other plan and the one that currently fits my schedule. Any negatives to this approach?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

No, that's a good idea. I'm on cm7 as it is and I've gotten rid of all the phone related .apk's and I just wanna make the cell signal bars invisible and make the '(no service)' thing gone haha

Global Posts
    8,460 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

For the "no service" you will need to edit an .xml file deep in the system. I'm sure it can be done by someone who knows how to edit .xml's. The cell signal may be removed, but if it creates problems and can't, then maybe someone can edit the color of the cell bars to be the same color as the notification bar. In essence it should blend with the notification background and not be noticeable.

The above could probably be done by someone who is real good at making themes. You are in luck because there are some good developers dong excellent work in the Optimus S forums that could probably help you. Good luck

Forgot to ask, with the removal of the stock .apks/services, like mesaging, did you run into a problems? I know problems arise when you remove these features when the phone has service. Not sure what happens when there is no service.
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

Quote Originally Posted by alexdemonumber3 View Post
    No, that's a good idea. I'm on cm7 as it is and I've gotten rid of all the phone related .apk's and I just wanna make the cell signal bars invisible and make the '(no service)' thing gone haha
    For a really cheap redneck repair, El Marko perm black marker across the top

Edit: On CM7, goto settings/cyanogen and check some of the tweaks in there. Never used them, but some are interesting.
    Last edited by Moscow Desire; 10-06-2011 at 12:51 PM.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by srkmagnus View Post
    For the "no service" you will need to edit an .xml file deep in the system. I'm sure it can be done by someone who knows how to edit .xml's. The cell signal may be removed, but if it creates problems and can't, then maybe someone can edit the color of the cell bars to be the same color as the notification bar. In essence it should blend with the notification background and not be noticeable.

The above could probably be done by someone who is real good at making themes. You are in luck because there are some good developers dong excellent work in the Optimus S forums that could probably help you. Good luck

Forgot to ask, with the removal of the stock .apks/services, like mesaging, did you run into a problems? I know problems arise when you remove these features when the phone has service. Not sure what happens when there is no service.
    I did initially, unceasing FC's, but I rebooted and it was like the apks were never there

Sent from my LG-LS670 using Tapatalk