Help with Google Voice SMS

jmos1277

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Just got a new Incredible and have a question about setting it up.
(1) I have a Google Voice account set up on the phone
(2) I do NOT have a texting plan on my Verizon account, but still receive an occasional text at my Verizon phone#.

Currently, when I receive a text at either my Verizon #, or my GVoice #, I get two notifications ... one from the Messages program, and another from Google Voice. I also have to delete those text messages from both programs, which is rather annoying.

Is it possible to separate the two types of text messages?

When I receive a text on my Verizon number, I want it to go into Messages, and ONLY into Message.
When I receive a text on my GVoice number, I want it to go into GVoice, and ONLY GVoice.

If this isn't strictly possible, does anyone have any suggestions on how to eliminate the redundancy issue I'm having?

jmos1277

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok ... I have verified that SMS should not be sent to my Verizon # ... which si good, because Verizon charges me $0.20 each.

So when a text gets sent to my Verizon number, it now only appears in my Messages client.

However, when a SMS is sent to my GVoice number, I still get notifications from both programs and have to delete it from both programs.

Making progress.

kicko

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
thats strange, but there has to be a setting that your not checking. Look under SMS/voicemail settings, are you sure you dont have your mobile in there?

Send a text (SMS) message to: (your mobile #) <-----

jmos1277

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
thats strange, but there has to be a setting that your not checking. Look under SMS/voicemail settings, are you sure you dont have your mobile in there?

Send a text (SMS) message to: (your mobile #) <-----

I'm certain that there is something that I'm not checking ... still trying to figure out what that is though :confused:

I looked under Voicemail & SMS in my Google Voice account, but there isn't an option to disable forwarding SMS messages to my mobile number. I've attached an image of the settings page. Am I looking in the wrong place? I feel like I've looked everywhere!

jmos1277

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
Ok ... I did a little more digging and fixed my problem. Posting the solution here for future GVoice users that encounter the same problem. The setting that needs to be changed is under the 'Phones' tab of your Google Voice settings. Click 'Edit' for the phone to see the details shown in the attached picture.

Then, simply uncheck "Receive SMS on this phone". You will still receive text messages sent to your mobile # in the same way you always have. However, Google will not forward GVoice SMS messages to your phone. Instead they will only show up in your Google Voice App on your phone.

Now if only I could figure out how to get rid of that CityID app.

Reactions: 4given_p8ntblr

takeshi

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
People seem to commonly notice the SMS notification under the Voicemail tab but unchecking it only prevents you from getting SMS notifications for voicemail. SMS forwarding is actually under the Phones tab, as mentioned above.

jmos1277

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
awesome! I knew there was something overlooked.

Yep ... thanks for encouraging me to dig a little deeper.
I also found the following in Google's help pages, which indicates that changing the phone type will accomplish the same thing. The "Receive SMS on this phone" check box is probably a newer feature that wasn't there when this help doc was written.

SMS forwarding basics - Google Voice Help

"Anyone can send a text message to your Google number and the message will be forwarded only to the phones you've marked as Mobile in the Phone Type section of your Phones tab."

Last edited:

jmos1277

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
People seem to commonly notice the SMS notification under the Voicemail tab but unchecking it only prevents you from getting SMS notifications for voicemail. SMS forwarding is actually under the Phones tab, as mentioned above.

I think that might be because on the web interface, the tab is actually called "Voicemail & SMS". One would think that a tab with that name might be a reasonable place to look for all things concerning SMS.

4given_p8ntblr

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
This was the exact same question I have been looking for this whole time. Thank you for finding the solution and posting it jmos1277. I only have 50 non verizon messages a month, so this allows me to txt my ATT friends all the time now with my GV number.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7