Problem Sending Text Messages

r2dtoo

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure where the problem is, so I am posting here. If this isn't the right forum, let me know.

Here is the issue that I am having:

First, I have an EVO 3D on Sprint. I have the Google Voice integration. I use Handcent for SMS and Text Messages.

I am able to receive Text messages, and they come through Handcent. However, people are not getting texts from me that are sent through Handcent. This is a recent problem (last couple of days).

When I send the text through the GV app, they seem to go through. I have not tried the default messaging app, so I don't know if that works.

Handcent is set as my default messaging app.

And, just to throw a wrench in it, this seems to be intermittent. I sent my wife a txt this morning, and she got it. However, she has not gotten any since that first one (about 4 more).

Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a Handcent problem? Sprint problem? GV problem?

Thanks for your help.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I use handcent for the past year, and have not had this issue.

However, I can say that the carriers are usually responsible for this.

But in their defense, I can say that Handcent, is best run with a rooted phone.

Secondly, I wish not to beat a dead horse, But carriers run blocks of ph numbers. And some blocks are overloaded. And calls are dropped, sms are buffered into ozone hell. It happens. The only recourse, is to get a new number. Granted, this only happens to less than 10% of users.

I would suggest, first, root your device if you wish to use handcent.

Second, get a newer number with your carrier.

r2dtoo

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Where is it written that Handcent is better on rooted devices? Why is that? I'm not saying that you're wrong, I just don't think that's the problem.

Before the 3D, I had an EVO 4G. It was rooted, and I still had issues with Handcent sometimes. My wife has the 4G, and it's not rooted. To my knowledge, she hasn't had any issues with Handcent.

If it was a carrier issue, why would texting through GV app work?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It's not written anywhere.

However, I cannot deny the fact, that when I use hand cent, it tells me "superuser permission is granted". My rom is set up to tell me whenever any app wants "superuser access" (rooted).

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I have never had Handcent ask for SU permissions and I've use it for a long time also.
Try it with your default sms messaging app and see it it does.
No matter what 3rd party app you use it still get handle by the phone's messaging application.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Basball is correct, if you install a different sms app, it still uses the system sms app to function.

However, I wouldn't BS anybody. When I reply or check sms with handcent, it confirms superuser privledges.I get the notification.

"mutiple packages have been granted super user permissions"

r2dtoo

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
I have never had Handcent ask for SU permissions and I've use it for a long time also.
Try it with your default sms messaging app and see it it does.
No matter what 3rd party app you use it still get handle by the phone's messaging application.

I'll try the default. The weird thing is that it goes through if I use the GV app. So, I think it has something to do with the way Sprint is handing the messages off to GV?

r2dtoo

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Basball is correct, if you install a different sms app, it still uses the system sms app to function.

However, I wouldn't BS anybody. When I reply or check sms with handcent, it confirms superuser privledges.I get the notification.

I'm not saying that you are BSing us. I'm just saying that I've never seen the SU request from Handcent. I just checked the SU app on my rooted EVO 4G, and Handcent is not listed as one of the apps with permission.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm not saying that you are BSing us. I'm just saying that I've never seen the SU request from Handcent. I just checked the SU app on my rooted EVO 4G, and Handcent is not listed as one of the apps with permission.

Dude, or Dudette, I have seen mighty weird things in my ...... 52 years. And for 10 months, I get this crap. (superuser) when I use Handcent. I have no earthly idea why it does it.

Just checked HC, and it is registered as Superuser.

But, everything works ok, so who am I to argue...

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Of course, if anybody wishes to place a little wager.... I would be more than happy to video it ;)

Say, 1 bottle of Myers Rum, shipped of course to Moscow.

r2dtoo

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
Just as a test, I just got done rooting the 3D. I have HBOOT 1.5, so I had to use HTC's official unlock, which leaves me with S-On. However, I have a custom recovery and working Super user app now.

I've tested a few root apps (Titanium, Root Explorer, etc.), and I am rooted.

I'm still having the same issue with Handcent (BTW - it still didn't ask for root :eek:)

Kekoh

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Those of you confused about the Handcent SU request, it depends on your options. By default, Handcent doesn't need SU. There are, however, options within Handcent that are root features. If you enable one of these, or play around with it, it's going to ask you for SU approval.

For example, LED Plus (Settings>Notification Settings>Notification Settings>LED Plus) requires it. After Handcent is in SU, it will always display a toast notification when you open, send texts, etc. I recommend removing Handcent from SU if you have no root options selected, the toast notification is pretty annoying.

To the original poster. When you first sent the text today that stopped working, how long was it? Have any of the texts you are having problems with been over 160 characters (over 160 splits the message in two)? Are you rooted?

Last edited:

r2dtoo

Feb 1, 2011
Visit site
All of texts are less than 160. I was not rooted when the issue happened, but I am now.

At this point, I don't think it is a Handcent issue. The default app is not working either. However, I can send from the Google Voice app. I do get messages from others in Handcent. Just can't reply unless I switch over to GV app.

Kekoh

Oct 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, I don't know what the issue could be then. Asside from splitting texts properly in the settings, I haven't had any issues with Handcent.

I know it's really generic, but you might as well factory reset. Since you are rooted now you can backup anything important with titanium backup/nand. Factory resets almost always solve the problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djaa7