Paid someone to root my new 8.9 and they broke it :/

tuketu

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Ugh Howdy everyone,

Long story short, I'm a very busy person currently and just got the 8.9 samsung galaxy. I just so happened to run across someones ad on craigslist saying that they would come to me and charge 30 bucks to root it.

I thought that considering I didnt really have time to learn currently, that it was a good deal.

Well an hour later he got it rooted and then proceeded to install the RomManager. After he did, he went and attempted to do something to the flash memory and a screen popped up that said three different versions to choose from some 9000 stuff then the 10.1. So he chose the 10.1 and at that point, the tablet went into a boot loop.

:/

He then tried to put some 91xx *something* on it in order to attempt to put it back to stock but never took. The program he used said failed on it..

Now when you boot up the 8.9 tablet, it no longer goes into the boot loop, but instead comes up with the 'upgrade etc went wrong warning with the icon of a pc and tablet on it..

That guy left and now I am here with the fearness.

I know how to get my 8.9 into the download mode (which is sitting next to me in that mode)

But is there anyone out there that could point me in the right direction to get this thing working again? It's less than 48 hours old at this point, and my first andriod device.. I've modified other stuff like the wii and xbox etc and work in linux all day, everyday.

If this happened to anyone else with the RomManager for the 8.9 doing the flashmemory fearness and can help out, I would not have an issue with kicking you down some paypal skills.

This is prelame though as I should have never taken it to someone else. -it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
If you can get to "something". all is not lost.

Sorry you paid for somebody to **** your tab. Personally, I would have used a Louisville Slugger on him.

With the device off. try to hold the power button and the Volume up and wait awhile.

Tell us what you see.

If you see some text,appear, then release.

tuketu

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you for the response Moscow.

So I took it out of download mode and powered down.

Held power and right volume (up) and the screen came on to the "samsung galaxy 8.9" boot screen then imediately went to the:

"Firmware upgrade encountered an issue. Please select recovery mode in Kies & try again"

I'm aware how to get into the download mode, but not sure what program to use on my computer to send files over to it or what files to send.

I do know that the guy was trying at the end to put some stock pda file on it.

Anything else that I can do which can help identify what's needed?

It's so new (the 8.9) google isnt my friend yet :l

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
No, just trying to understand where you are at with your device.

Granted, my Samsung experience is limited. The thing to remember, is that your device is still alive, and not bricked. It just doen't have an OS. You use Kies, which is ok. It's what samsung now uses.

I live in Moscow my friend, so, as the time difference, It will soon be getting late.

Right now, I would be looking for a rom for your device. I think you are rooted, but the sphincter hole messed up your OS. Sorry to use such low words. But to fubarr a device, and then leave...

We at AC will find a solution, mark my words.

tuketu

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you again.

-Yes, before he did the flash memory with the Rommanager and had selected '10.1' from the available choices, it was rooted prior to that.

It was only after the 10.1 selection in the Rommanager app that it proceeded into the boot loop.

tuketu

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Thank you Moscow,

I found that one actually lastnight and downloaded it. (it was my birthday so I went out for the rest of the night with friends)

However I wasnt sure if that was okay to use or not because it was the asian one, but it was the only one I could find though. :/

So instead of just pushing it over (when I wasnt even sure if that was what it needed) -I created an account here.

Glad to know I was somewhat on the right path.

Is it safe to try to push that over to my 8.9 tablet (us market is where I am, I get my news from Russia though haha (#RT)) Or is the worse thing at this point, it would just give me the same failed upgrade message I am currently getting now if it doesnt work?

I understand that this is new and it may be an unknown currently, but it doesnt hurt to ask.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Thank you again.

-Yes, before he did the flash memory with the Rommanager and had selected '10.1' from the available choices, it was rooted prior to that.

It was only after the 10.1 selection in the Rommanager app that it proceeded into the boot loop.

OHHHH.... FATAL mistake.

1, using rom manager to flash a rom
2. flashing the incorrect rom

First we need to find the correct Rom. But it's late where I live. So I will leave it to you to search and find a rom for your 8.9. Stock or custom. The root is probably good which is what I think.

Secondly, find the steps to flash it. It will probably be odin or kies.

Use Odin or Kies, and flash the rom. Make sure they recognize the device, and install drivers as necessary.

If using Win7, make sure you right mouse click, and install program as administrator.

Read the instructions for flashing, installing through Odin or Kies.

I suspect, you will have an operating device before I wake.

Reactions: tuketu

tuketu

Oct 7, 2011
Visit site
Fixed it!

Nice..

I used odin v3 1.85 and the asian rom. heh

It was the only one I could find presently.. And since the screenshot had it in english, I just said what the hell. ..

After downloading the rom, loading in odin as pda, and hitting start, it then took about 10 seconds, rebooted on it's own and loaded just fine! All my settings are the same and is in english.. However is unrooted now. But I'll go and read what to do with that myself.

Thanks for the help Moscow, our conversation here gave me the confidence I needed.

peace peace

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Wait a while before attempting root. The device is new and many seasoned developers are not working in It yet. You want full support just in case there are future problems with the process.

Reactions: tuketu

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance