Single core vs dual core?

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
Can someone please explain the difference and what behaviors on the phone they impact? Thanks!

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

joe.stay

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
dual core is way faster then single core because there's actually 2 core. Everything is faster with dual core processor then single core.

ajonesma

Oct 1, 2010
Visit site
from what I understand one core of the processor actually runs the OS while the other does something else (cant quite remember what they said on one of the podcasts). But it does speed up the phone very much.

Its the same with computers too.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
from what I understand one core of the processor actually runs the OS while the other does something else (cant quite remember what they said on one of the podcasts). But it does speed up the phone very much.

Its the same with computers too.

There is a benefit now, but will be exponentially better once ICS comes out and is actually optimized for multiple cores.

MrObvious

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
It's like having two brains to run the phone instead of one, which means it can process twice as much data in the time one core can process it.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Ain't no difference now. Maybe in 2 or 3 years. Marketing hype. I score more or less the same in testing 1gtz to 1.2 and 1gtz OC to 1.5. both OC'd. Not a lot of observable difference. When they match GPU performance, then I will pay attention.

Ok. I can do swipes a little smoother.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It's like having two brains to run the phone instead of one, which means it can process twice as much data in the time one core can process it.

Like husband and wife? Since when could ever the 2 do the same thing? ;) Even Intel cant figure that one out.....

It's one thing when a dc can allocate resources to recalulate a 500mb SS, and "maybe" at the same time recompile 700k lines of code. But we all know, it really ain't happening. Not as much as we expect.

And what do you want from your phone? The same? Ain't happening baby., and there's no need for it. Marketing Hype 101.

80% of usage is sending sms and calls. And there's no difference between a 400mhtz Nokia dumbphone and a 1.2Gtz DC phone. None. The biggest advantage is games and video. But until the games and videos take advantage of DC, you won't see much difference between 1Ghtz and 1Ghtz DC. A boost in GPU would make better sense.

Last edited:

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
I'm agreeing with Moscow on this. Unless the OS and the app are written to utilize both cores you will see very little performance increase if any at all. This goes the same with your PC at home.

Saying a phone has dual core or a computer has quad core just makes it sound like it will be faster.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm agreeing with Moscow on this. Unless the OS and the app are written to utilize both cores you will see very little performance increase if any at all. This goes the same with your PC at home.

Saying a phone has dual core or a computer has quad core just makes it sound like it will be faster.

My quad-core computer compiles much faster than my dual-core (exponentially faster!). But then again, the tools I use are designed for multi-core processing.

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
My quad-core computer compiles much faster than my dual-core (exponentially faster!). But then again, the tools I use are designed for multi-core processing.

My point exactly.

If you are running apps or programs designed for multi-core you will see a difference. How many android apps are written for dual core processors?

ctychick

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
OP here...

Thanks for the replies. I'd been assuming I'd update from the DInc to either the Vigor or the Prime, but the Stratosphere really caught my eye for the keyboard - something I've always wanted, but thought I could "live with" virtual. The more I think about it, I hate virtual keyboards. So... If I can live the Stratosphere for 18 months, save a bunch of money and give a physical keyboard a try, I might just go for it. Just trying to weed through the specs of all three and trying to determine what is necessary now as opposed to what I can wait for. ICS is tempting, yet I wonder if by the time apps are updated for it I might have still had a good run with the Stratosphere.

I'm definitely open to any input here!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007