How to receive Group SMS Messages from iPhone & Blackberry

jackrabbit

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Everyone I know seems to have an iPhone, and they have the ability to send and receive group SMS messages in a single thread. Every recipient sees who's included the thread and they "Reply all" to each message. It also looks like Blackberry's can handle this group messaging feature. But my Android phone can't. (Nexus S 4G - 2.3.7)

The default messaging app, Google Voice, and Handcent all split up each group text into individual threads, which makes it really difficult to manage the conversation. These apps also think that the group texts are MMS messages, which is doubly annoying.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to keep these group texts in one thread?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Alex

jackrabbit

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hmm but that would require that all parties use the GroupMe app, correct? It's a good thought, but doesn't really help if the people sending the group messages aren't on GroupMe.

vintage712

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
Actually, no. Once you've created a group, GroupMe assigns a permanent phone number for the group. any type of phone will be able to group sms.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

jackrabbit

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Ok I do see that feature, but if my understanding is correct, there's still some problems with this.

1. The group messages I receive tend to be created on the fly, meaning the members often change with every new message. That means a new GroupMe group # every time.

2. Using GroupMe would require the others to change the way they send texts because they'll have to send to the GroupMe number. It's going to be tough to get everyone to buy into this when I'm the only Android person who has a problem with the status quo.

Again, thanks for the idea, but I'm really hoping someone will step up here with a seamless workaround. Does anyone know if any of the custom ROMs would solve this problem?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Custom Roms, do not deal with a lot of sms functions. They contain typically the same basic sms app which is the core operating base. Other third party sms apps, rely on the stock system sms app to function.

Unfortunately, android, is not an enterprise device, nor has it ever touted to be one. And I suspect, many BB users, were unable to send very much sms last week. Or mail for that matter.

Until the devs try to make an enterprise app, those types of functions, will be lacking. I really don't think it's as much fault as the dev's response to write enterprise software, but more the fact that BB, for example, controls the servers and server apps that help that process complete.

Perhaps the finger shouldn't be pointed at Android, but more towards the providers? Maybe they could develop the server side apps, that allow instantanious messaging on the fly.

Just a thought...

pwnzored

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I have an Incredible 2 with CM7 and I have the same issue. I get A LOT of group MMS messages. I have a friend who has the Droid 3 and it handles Group MMS properly. I am desperately searching for a solution as well.

netwerx1

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Get everyone to use a messaging app like WhatsApp...I use it with my staff at work, some with Android, some with iPhone, some with BB...we have a group and all the messages stay in the group thread.

tublecane

Sep 21, 2010
Visit site
Anyone have a better solution for this? I want it to work on my phone, without having anyone on Iphone change the app they use for messaging, that is not going to fly. I find it hard to believe there isn't a messaging app out there that can read these MMS messages correctly and determine the people in the group and treat it as a group message, but I just am not finding any.

hjmillre

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
First Post. I am new to Android and on day 2 with my Nexus S 4G. I was somewhat taken aback on day one when I received group messages. I received 2 of every text! Annoying and confusing. The other parties texting both use Iphones. I hope someone finds a better solution.

uncleowenrip

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone found a good solution for this? I am encountering this problem right now, several months after this thread was started.

I'm on Ice Cream Sandwhich, Samsung Galaxy Nexus. My friends have been barraging me with texts because they are all group chatting on iphones.

Doc

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have used GO SMS Pro to send to a group. I believe that they also allow the functions that you are asking for but am not sure as I have not received a group text.

Try this free app and see how it goes. I would also contact the developer about adding the feature if it is not present. They are very good and adding the things that people request..

Hope this helps.

Doc

uncleowenrip

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
can Go SMS Pro receive group messages being sent by iphone users. my issue is not sending group messages, but rather my inability to receive them properly.

Qharisma

May 19, 2010
Visit site
Had this same issue with my droid bionic..... unable to receive group messages from ios users....... tried everything ....... no avail ..... finally downloaded the Verizon wireless messaging app ...... issue resolved....... I know right..... normally I wish the bloat ware a long burn in hell ....... but its not bloatware .... in fact its better than the default messaging app in my humble opinion........so it goes like this Verizon bloatware record 2-50 ....... of course this and zumocast being the 2 wins ..... all others fail

RyMac04

BB Convert
Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Coming from BlackBerry, I didn't think there would be much the Android couldn't do that my BB could - however this is becoming painful.

I get lots of group SMS from iPhones and am unable to reply all as I could before. The GroupMe solution is not plausible because it requires a select group for every text. Sending a group SMS is no problem on ICS - it's just the reply all that's an issue. Would love a solution to this.

mmcdougal89

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Had this same issue with my droid bionic..... unable to receive group messages from ios users....... tried everything ....... no avail ..... finally downloaded the Verizon wireless messaging app ...... issue resolved....... I know right..... normally I wish the bloat ware a long burn in hell ....... but its not bloatware .... in fact its better than the default messaging app in my humble opinion........so it goes like this Verizon bloatware record 2-50 ....... of course this and zumocast being the 2 wins ..... all others fail

Hey, just to confirm this post, I just downloaded "Verizon Messages" and so far it's working great w/ group messages that my friends w/ iphones just sent. And it's a free app.