Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to receive Group SMS Messages from iPhone & Blackberry

Everyone I know seems to have an iPhone, and they have the ability to send and receive group SMS messages in a single thread. Every recipient sees who's included the thread and they "Reply all" to each message. It also looks like Blackberry's can handle this group messaging feature. But my Android phone can't. (Nexus S 4G - 2.3.7)

The default messaging app, Google Voice, and Handcent all split up each group text into individual threads, which makes it really difficult to manage the conversation. These apps also think that the group texts are MMS messages, which is doubly annoying.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to keep these group texts in one thread?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Alex
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: How to receive Group SMS Messages from iPhone & Blackberry

(bump)

I use GroupMe and set up groups as needed. Not ideal but it works.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hmm but that would require that all parties use the GroupMe app, correct? It's a good thought, but doesn't really help if the people sending the group messages aren't on GroupMe.

Actually, no. Once you've created a group, GroupMe assigns a permanent phone number for the group. any type of phone will be able to group sms.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

Ok I do see that feature, but if my understanding is correct, there's still some problems with this.

1. The group messages I receive tend to be created on the fly, meaning the members often change with every new message. That means a new GroupMe group # every time.

2. Using GroupMe would require the others to change the way they send texts because they'll have to send to the GroupMe number. It's going to be tough to get everyone to buy into this when I'm the only Android person who has a problem with the status quo.

Again, thanks for the idea, but I'm really hoping someone will step up here with a seamless workaround. Does anyone know if any of the custom ROMs would solve this problem?
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

Custom Roms, do not deal with a lot of sms functions. They contain typically the same basic sms app which is the core operating base. Other third party sms apps, rely on the stock system sms app to function.

Unfortunately, android, is not an enterprise device, nor has it ever touted to be one. And I suspect, many BB users, were unable to send very much sms last week. Or mail for that matter.

Until the devs try to make an enterprise app, those types of functions, will be lacking. I really don't think it's as much fault as the dev's response to write enterprise software, but more the fact that BB, for example, controls the servers and server apps that help that process complete.

Perhaps the finger shouldn't be pointed at Android, but more towards the providers? Maybe they could develop the server side apps, that allow instantanious messaging on the fly.

Just a thought...

I have an Incredible 2 with CM7 and I have the same issue. I get A LOT of group MMS messages. I have a friend who has the Droid 3 and it handles Group MMS properly. I am desperately searching for a solution as well.

Global Posts
    882 Global Posts
    ROM
    UnNamed 1.1.0

Get everyone to use a messaging app like WhatsApp...I use it with my staff at work, some with Android, some with iPhone, some with BB...we have a group and all the messages stay in the group thread.

Global Posts
    83 Global Posts

Anyone have a better solution for this? I want it to work on my phone, without having anyone on Iphone change the app they use for messaging, that is not going to fly. I find it hard to believe there isn't a messaging app out there that can read these MMS messages correctly and determine the people in the group and treat it as a group message, but I just am not finding any.
    reelon likes this.

Global Posts
    46 Global Posts

First Post. I am new to Android and on day 2 with my Nexus S 4G. I was somewhat taken aback on day one when I received group messages. I received 2 of every text! Annoying and confusing. The other parties texting both use Iphones. I hope someone finds a better solution.

I use "AT&T Messages" and it seems to do the job.

Has anyone found a good solution for this? I am encountering this problem right now, several months after this thread was started.

I'm on Ice Cream Sandwhich, Samsung Galaxy Nexus. My friends have been barraging me with texts because they are all group chatting on iphones.

I have used GO SMS Pro to send to a group. I believe that they also allow the functions that you are asking for but am not sure as I have not received a group text.

Try this free app and see how it goes. I would also contact the developer about adding the feature if it is not present. They are very good and adding the things that people request..

Hope this helps.

Doc
    EVO 4G

can Go SMS Pro receive group messages being sent by iphone users. my issue is not sending group messages, but rather my inability to receive them properly.

Global Posts
    87 Global Posts

Had this same issue with my droid bionic..... unable to receive group messages from ios users....... tried everything ....... no avail ..... finally downloaded the Verizon wireless messaging app ...... issue resolved....... I know right..... normally I wish the bloat ware a long burn in hell ....... but its not bloatware .... in fact its better than the default messaging app in my humble opinion........so it goes like this Verizon bloatware record 2-50 ....... of course this and zumocast being the 2 wins ..... all others fail
    BB Convert

Global Posts
    301 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.4

Coming from BlackBerry, I didn't think there would be much the Android couldn't do that my BB could - however this is becoming painful.

I get lots of group SMS from iPhones and am unable to reply all as I could before. The GroupMe solution is not plausible because it requires a select group for every text. Sending a group SMS is no problem on ICS - it's just the reply all that's an issue. Would love a solution to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Qharisma View Post
    Had this same issue with my droid bionic..... unable to receive group messages from ios users....... tried everything ....... no avail ..... finally downloaded the Verizon wireless messaging app ...... issue resolved....... I know right..... normally I wish the bloat ware a long burn in hell ....... but its not bloatware .... in fact its better than the default messaging app in my humble opinion........so it goes like this Verizon bloatware record 2-50 ....... of course this and zumocast being the 2 wins ..... all others fail
    Hey, just to confirm this post, I just downloaded "Verizon Messages" and so far it's working great w/ group messages that my friends w/ iphones just sent. And it's a free app.

Stumbled on this thread as I was doing research on this issue. Presumably handcent supports group SMS from iPhone users now (haven't tested it out but it's in their changelog)

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts

Have you tried it
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Yes, Handcent as of v4 now supports group texting with iPhone people. Just updated to v4.1 and it's still a bit buggy, but it does work. Thanks to the developer for (finally) making this happen!

I use G+ Messenger between iPhone & Android...not sure if the BB App supports it tho I know nobody with one.

Handcent sms works...you have to disable your stock app and then enable the mms messaging... Good luck!
    Thanked by:
    bbui4 

If handcent dosn't work you should try upgrading your swag to level three. That helped me a lot
    psycholasers likes this.

Smile Re: How to receive Group SMS Messages from iPhone & Blackberry

You can use this app called GoSMS. Head to the settings and enable group messaging. and voila!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast