1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Looking for kids tablets

With Christmas coming fast I'm thinking of getting the younger kids tablets.

Obviously most of us can't afford a Xoom or Playbook for a 10 or 12 year old.

What do you guys suggest to look at.

Thanks

Default Re: Looking for kids tablets

The Kindle Fire is what you want to look at. Stock it's going to be able to play some lite games like Angry Birds and such, but you will have the potential to root it. Hardware isn't great, but it's exactly what your kids will be able to use.
    Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch - Gingerbread 2.3.4
    CPU/Kernel: 800mHz - LoSTKernel underclocked for 30 hours of battery life

Global Posts
    296 Global Posts
    ROM
    InsertCoin 1.1.1

Yeah, I'd go for a Fire as well. Cheaper than the Tegra 2 devices but well-built and capable.

In the end though, anything but the Maylong M-150 will do.

The Fire would be your best bet. Just remember, the Fire will not come with the Android Market on it. App downloads will use the Amazon App Market.
    Troubleshooter

ROM
    Jiffy Pop Roots 3.47.114

12yrs old? A Kindle Fire????

Not due for another month, and I suspect it won't come with the regular Market. Probably Amazon Market. And a root process won't probably be available for another 2 months or more. Considering nobody's really had a hands on with it, it may really suck.

For the younger one, a Fire might be ok, provided they release it on time.

Also, you may want to check out the HTC Flyer, or T-Mobile's Springboard which will be released soon. Specs and hands on are good, but you have to have a 2yr contract I suppose for the springboard.

For the older, I would be looking at something he or she could use for the next 2 or 3 years. So a full size is warranted. Acer A501 or A500 would be my choice Extremely easy to root, and has a full size USB2.0 to connect periphials. A500 16gb (expandable with SD) was currently only 340$ last time I looked.
    Last edited by Moscow Desire; 10-14-2011 at 11:19 AM.