Android Product Life Cycle, it's potential downfall?

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
Let me start by saying I enjoy tinkering with Android. I've contributed kernel source findings and given advice to chefs and new members... so fairly knowledgeable and a decent contributor.

However, I feel like I've been duped. I bought what was considered the best bang for the buck smartphone (my first) but now I'm not so sure.
My phone, not even a year old and still under warranty, appears to be obsolete as far as Google/LG/T-Mobile is concerned. I know there's still a possibility of receiving Gingerbread but I'm less than hopeful at this point. You just have to ask a Samsung Vibrant owner and you'll understand how I feel.

It seems to be the question in all the forums, "If/when will we receive an update"?
The common disgruntled response is "I'll never buy a Samsung/LG/etc again". However, shouldn't we be saying "I'll never buy an Android again"? Instead I see "buy a $500 XYZ and you'll get updates ASAP" but where's the guarantee? This whole thing looks like a scam designed to upsell the customer.

If I'm encouraged to use my Android for email, banking and purchasing, I need to know that security holes are being patched.
If I'm under contract for 2 years with a data plan, why aren't I entitled to this, regardless of price make or model?
I'm not an attorney but is there potential for class action here?

This leads me to Apple, sure their phones are expensive, closed source and limited to a number of carriers but the iPhone 3GS just received iOS 5.
iPhone 3GS was released in June of 2009 and it received iOS 5 two days ago.
My LG Optimus T was released in late October of 2010 and likely received it's last update (2.2.2) in April of 2011 several months after Google released it.

Best bang for the buck? If my Android went for a swim I'd strongly consider buying an iPhone.
I admit I'm running unofficial CM7 - 2.3.7, but the other 80+% (wild guess) of Android owners out there are using an official carrier release.

I'm curious as to how the whole Motorola buyout will play into this but how many customers has Google left with a bad taste in their mouth?

I know what some of you will say, it's not Google, it's the manufactures or it's the carriers. Or is it the way Google structured it? Pass the buck, blame the other guy, and keep them spinning.

Google, if you're not evil, then why haven't you fixed this?

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
If you wan an Android device without carrier intervention, get a Nexus model. They will get updates as Google puts them out for the device.

About a year ago, there was a collection of manufacturers who agreed to support devices by continuing to update their devices for a minimum of 18 months. So, if a new version of Android comes out, they are supposed to have updates available for them. The main issue was when would manufacturers start this process, and would it affect current or previous offerings.

I think support has been better. It took quite a while for FroYo to come out for the Galaxy S line (even longer for the Mesmerize/Fascinate), but they had Gingerbread out less than six months later. As Google works on reducing fragmentation, the amount of time needed for updates to be released might be reduced as well.

msjohnson2868

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
Why are you worried about software updates from the carriers/manufacturers if you've rooted and have CM7 in the first place? The fact is, the vast majority of users don't even have a clue about software updates and are satisfied with the skinned Android that the carriers put out. And I'd bet that the ones who are concerned about updates have learned to shop for rootable devices and do the updating themselves through Cyanogenmod or other platforms.

I agree the fragmentation is frustrating...but you're rooted. You have the latest software.

Try that with Apple. There is no updating until Apple updates. And they say what the lifespan of the device is by which devices they choose to upgrade.

Not so with Android. The good old OG Droid runs the latest and greatest of Android just the same as the ones coming off the shelf today. The lifespan of android devices is only limited to the development community, and to some extent, the hardware's ability to run the latest software.

So if your main concern is the ability to get timely software updates, Android and the development community beats Apple hands down.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
@Xopher
It's been my experience that unless a corporation is forced to cut into their bottom line they don't give it their all. Legal intervention or mass dissension are today's biggest motivators. I know that without a cut and dry Life Cycle Policy like Windows or Ubuntu that the consumer is unfairly at risk. This isn't groundbreaking or too much to ask. Time will tell if things really are changing but my contract is up in a year. ;)

Thank you for the info on the Nexus line, I wasn't aware of that or the history you described.

@msjohnson2868 -
I don't understand this need to defend the Android dogma of "you want it done then do it yourself". I love the option but hate it's necessity, don't you? Demand better, this apathy is part of the problem.

screamline458

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I like my optimus and the android os but what I do/did like about apple is even though they phase out devices, they are still making sure that the ones supported are the best. And seriously who wants iOS5 on an original iPhone? doesn't even do 3g, which only matters if you need to use your phone away from a router or something. I do enjoy the tinkering I have done with this phone so far but it drives me bonkers there isn't a standard for the phones. I want storage and i don't want to root and rom and link or whatever just to have the apps I need and should have. I got stuck using mobile websites for most of my stuff. this is 2011, we have apps for everything and I can't use most of them cause most of the affordable droids have somehting like 200 internal. My buddy got tired of not having room on his mytouch and went WP7. the phones are nice, just saying. I still like android but they still have some things to do to knock apple off its mobile throne.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
OS Fragmentation would be much less if the carriers didn't feel the need to skin their devices. OTA updates would be pushed in a more timely manner. This we all know. At least for most devices.

As with a set "standard" for devices, well, nobody can argue with Apple. It's what happens when you control both the hardware and software.

But then again, when you choose a phone at the Apple store, well....... that doesn't take long now, does it? As Henry Ford said "you can have it in any color you want, as long as it's black".

Owning an Android, is all about choice. Personally, I love the fact there are so many devices to choose from. That's what it's all about. Freedom to select a device based on functionality, style, capacity and price. And the freedom to customize it if one so chooses. Of course with all the different devices, there will be the chance of the odd "lemon". But then again, we all remember the iPhone debacle, where Steve Jobs himself tried to convince the users they were holding the iPhone the incorrect way resulting in loss of signal!!! And that was with their ONLY device! Nice job Apple. But of course they eventually fixed things and made good.

As with storage space, I can sympathize with a lot of folks. My Desire has limited internal storage, but I chose to root so I can move my apps to SD. Of course not all people wish to go that route, but, at least they have the choice.

Bottom line, Fragmentation? Phoooey! Last time I looked, there was nothing left of that horse, so why beat it anymore...

anon(21022)

May 8, 2010
Visit site
As far as I can tell, many security updates were distributed along with the Android Market updates that have been pushed to phones over the past year.

Others came with Android 2.3.4 and (???) 2.3.6.

So there's a mixed bag there, not getting the latest Android release means you don't get all updates, yet at least with the Market app being updated regardless of having the latest Android or not, still ensures that many flaws are patched.

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
OS Fragmentation would be much less if the carriers didn't feel the need to skin their devices. OTA updates would be pushed in a more timely manner. This we all know. At least for most devices.

Easily rectifiable, but it's all about the $$$. The demoware and carrier crapware is BIG bucks. A third partition would be a good start, put carrier crap there.
No more skinning!!! Misaligned icons and so many bugs enter here. I swear the devs at some of these companies are tarded. Their incompetence reflects directly on Google and Android. I'm really surprised Google hasn't stepped in here.

As with a set "standard" for devices, well, nobody can argue with Apple. It's what happens when you control both the hardware and software.

Drivers are a major obstacle I agree but it's not impossible, just ask Microsoft. I know limited space is big issue, but again this isn't impossible.

But then again, when you choose a phone at the Apple store, well....... that doesn't take long now, does it? As Henry Ford said...

I'm asking for a well defined Product LifeCycle. When I buy an Android it will receive support and updates for X years, months etc. Again easily rectifiable but $$$$$
Anti iPhone rhetoric isn't an argument. It's open source, I get it. However, I don't recall seeing a disclaimer saying "you want updates, compile 'em yourself".

Bottom line, Fragmentation? Phoooey! Last time I looked, there was nothing left of that horse, so why beat it anymore...

Because little to nothing has been done about it and it's Androids biggest issue. Someone should bring it up often and loudly until the Goo monster wakes up!

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I'm leaning toward the 2-year carrier contract point of view. Basically, your carrier is saying your phone should last for 2 years (barring any major mishaps). The carriers should work with the manufacturers to ensure the phone will get updates for 2 years. The problem here is that the 2 year update window would most likely be based on the phone's original release. Say someone gets a phone that's been out for 18 months instead of the more expensive, newly released model. They cannot expect their new phone to continue to get updates, can they?

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm leaning toward the 2-year carrier contract point of view. Basically, your carrier is saying your phone should last for 2 years (barring any major mishaps). The carriers should work with the manufacturers to ensure the phone will get updates for 2 years.

I'm glad to see someone else thinks this argument has teeth.

The problem here is that the 2 year update window would most likely be based on the phone's original release. Say someone gets a phone that's been out for 18 months instead of the more expensive, newly released model. They cannot expect their new phone to continue to get updates, can they?

Pull the device from the shelf or discount them with a sign saying ## month only support. Let the bean counters and board members work it out. MS stopped shipping machines with XP so they wouldn't violate their own Product LifeCycle Policy.

You're smartphone is obsolete in ?? months/years? Do you think like this with your laptop or desktop? I KNOW my XP machine will receive updates until 2014 because of the well defined Product LifeCycle. If I want updates after this I choose whether to pay for a new OS or buy a new machine. Cut and dry.

Perception is this only issue I see.

Why must Froyo die for Gingerbread to be born? Why patch the vulnerabilities in GB and not in Froyo? In the manufacture/carriers defense, it's expensive/time consuming to provide new drivers and support a new kernel every 6 months. Google supporting two or three branches would be a lot cheaper. Canonical supports several :confused:

demiles

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
I must say that I truely agree with your point of view. I became an Android enthusiast to try and make my D2 run as smooth and refined as my wife's iphone4. She's not very tech savy so I spent alot time with the Iphone to help her out. This is something I have not been able to achieve, as a matter of fact I can't even come close with the release of iOS5. Android (manufactures, carriers, and Google) is moving so fast that the earlier releases are being left behind and left broke. Google is too worried about releasing the next rev that 130 million people under contracts won't be able to take advantage of ICS. They need to slow down and develop the releases already out there or they will start to lose their customers come upgrade time. I'm not a Apple fanboy, just some that has used both iOS4, 5 and Android Froyo and GB. I hope that ICS has the backwards compatibility that allows it to run on the older devices but I'm not going to count on it.

Last edited:

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As Patrixl said, the security holes are being patched in the background even though you don't see an update from the carrier or a prompt asking you to update. Serious security exploits are patched almost immediately, even on non-Nexus phones, so that the consumer is not impacted.

It's probably more assuring if a notification is sent or description given of the detailed update and patch. We also have to remember that manufacturers and carriers are dealing with a boat load of devices to keep updated and want to do so in a controlled way that gives the consumer the best possible experience. I don't think we should have to wait so long for an update. But I understand why it may happen.

Turducken

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
As Patrixl said, the security holes are being patched in the background even though you don't see an update from the carrier or a prompt asking you to update. Serious security exploits are patched almost immediately, even on non-Nexus phones, so that the consumer is not impacted.
I don't understand what you're saying here. The Critical WiFi Vulnerability in 2.3.3 and below, how is this patched "in the background"? This is not a vulnerable Market app or carrier network flaw. AFAIK the only solution is to upgrade to 2.3.4 or stop using Public WiFi.
It's Linux at its core, if a vulnerability is discovered in iptables the kernel must be patched. There's no magic involved.

It's probably more assuring if a notification is sent or description given of the detailed update and patch.

You bring up a great point, the lack of forthcoming with regards to what's included in an update. If you believe the Wiki security issues don't exist. If we do some research, we find each update can contain ALOT of security patches.

We also have to remember that manufacturers and carriers are dealing with a boat load of devices to keep updated and want to do so in a controlled way that gives the consumer the best possible experience. I don't think we should have to wait so long for an update

I'm not interested in making excuses for multi million/billion/trillion dollar corps, are you? All the if maybes and yeah buts would be put to rest with a well defined Product LifeCycle. Judging by MS I wonder are we legally entitled to this?

But I understand why it may happen.

I don't unless you're concerned about their profit margins?

@ demiles
The polished finish of iOS vs Android is hard to ignore but the ability to do advanced tasks in Android was what drew me in. I represent the Android target audience. However, what I didn't expect was this wild west philosophy with regards to support.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar