Why would anyone root?

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I mean this as a serious question, not trying to be snarky. I'm just curious why so many people root when not too long ago Google released a statement saying that rooted phones convert what I assume is an encrypted password into plaintext for anyone to see - that seems like it would be a big deal, wouldn't it? If you lose your phone, anyone can just hack into it and read the password vs an unrooted phone that would at least take longer to crack.

Security bulletin for rooted users: Android passwords stored as clear text | Android Central

Anyway the reason I'm asking this is because I have a Droid Charge; lord knows when it's going to get updated to Gingerbread and the lag on this thing is borderline unbearable. Even trying four different launches to no avail... let me give you a rundown of what I have to deal with on a daily basis:

-Recording Video from the Camera: Remove it from the dock, start punching in the password, wait for it to rotate when no one asked it to, re-enter the password, wait for the home screen to reload which it does damn near everytime I visit it, click the camera icon, wait a few days for that to load, click the film icon to put it into video mode and if I'm lucky, I can finally start recording. So it takes about two minutes just for me to begin capturing a video of whatever I was recording that's probably long gone. That's if I'm lucky, usually I'm not and it'll start recording only to freeze and give me a resolution error four seconds in. -Checking the Phone when Someone Calls You: Answer the call, put the person on speaker, hit the home button, enter the password, check your messages/status/whatever, and hope to God the caller doesn't hang up on you because if they do you get thrown right back to the lock screen for some unknown incredibly stupid reason. Who doesn't love typing in the same password twice everytime someone calls them? -Unlocking the Phone: Better touch it quick, you only have three seconds before the screen turns off again! *UPDATED* Pulling Data from the Phone: Just plug it in, no unlock required! WTF? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=adChzqJQsfM

A bit of a rant but after putting up with this kind of incompetence (why did it ship with an outdated file system again?), it's finally starting to get to me which is why I've been thinking about rooting. As a businessman, the whole plaintext passwords thing has been keeping me away from it for the longest time but at this point, unless the Prime delivers I may finally jump ship to an iPhone. That is not something I want to do, but having an Incredible in the past and dealing with similar nonsense... it's just leaning me more and more in that direction.

Last edited:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Mkay.
1) I believed this was patched long ago. Most custom froyo Rome have the patch and gingerbread comes with the patch.
2) the app would need root access which the such permissions app prompts you when an app requests root permission. Don't install any superuser apps and you are fine.
3) your problems are unique to touchwiz phones and samsungs piss-poor service record. Prime wont have that issue as long as it is a Google experience device.
Root and install a custom rom... you will enjoy the difference

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
Mkay.
1) I believed this was patched long ago. Most custom froyo Rome have the patch and gingerbread comes with the patch.
2) the app would need root access which the such permissions app prompts you when an app requests root permission. Don't install any superuser apps and you are fine.
3) your problems are unique to touchwiz phones and samsungs piss-poor service record. Prime wont have that issue as long as it is a Google experience device.
Root and install a custom rom... you will enjoy the difference

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I'm just surprised that no one updated us on the situation, unless maybe I missed it. Not hearing anything new about the passwords led me to believe that's how it was then and is now. It's really the only thing holding me back from rooting, I need to know that I'm secure because the last thing I would want is my business data getting out there.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for clearing that up. I guess I'm just surprised that no one updated us on the situation, unless maybe I missed it. Not hearing anything new about the passwords led me to believe that's how it was then and is now. It's really the only thing holding me back from rooting, I need to know that I'm secure because the last thing I would want is my business data getting out there.

Ill try to clear it up... I guess since it never got any cool name like antennagate it went under radar.

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
screenshot-1318665280314.png

It is likely still an issue on Samsung Galaxy S phones.. I'm using cm7 on my thunderbolt and this is what shows as my passwords in accounts.DB. I don't have exchange as my employer will not allow me to use a rooted device. They have a misconception as well. I'm thinking of going to it, handing them my phone and seeing if they can crack it (seeing how crappy the department is, it isn't likely). As for accessing the SD card with the screen locked... you can fix that easily by turning USB debugging off. If you want to use root apps, you'll need it on, but if you want to just run a custom rom, you can leave it off.

Also, I would like to add that an iphone can be accessed from a linux device without unlocking the screen. Noticed that when I was charging my iphone 4 when I had it for a short period of time and was running linux on my computer. It mounted as 2 different partitions and was easily accessible.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Also, I would like to add that an iphone can be accessed from a linux device without unlocking the screen. Noticed that when I was charging my iphone 4 when I had it for a short period of time and was running linux on my computer. It mounted as 2 different partitions and was easily accessible.

Come to think of it, didn't they have a national cracking competition earlier this year, and the iPhone security was cracked in about 5 minutes? Followed inline by Windows Phone 6.5? And when it came to Android, the competitors basically gave up after an hour?

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Come to think of it, didn't they have a national cracking competition earlier this year, and the iPhone security was cracked in about 5 minutes? Followed inline by Windows Phone 6.5? And when it came to Android, the competitors basically gave up after an hour?

dunno... would be fun to find out. Was this on non-rooted/jailbroken phones?

Edit: found it.

Took 2 days for iphone and blackberry and windows phone 7 and android was left uncracked in a 3 day period.
http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/mobile/03/17/hacking.devices.undefeated.wired/index.html

According to the comments, the safari browser was hacked in 5 seconds.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moscow Desire

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
*UPDATED* Pulling Data from the Phone: Just plug it in, no unlock required! WTF? Possible Droid Charge Security Issue - YouTube[/BOX]

Thats not supposed to happen. Just watched the video. Your sd card should not automatically mount. I don't even know how thats happening. Having said that. On honeycomb, it automatically mounts and is visible. Also, no precious information is stored on the sdcard for the system... especially since removable media is... well, removable.

Edit:
I just realized how this is happening. Do you have doubletwist installed? If you do, go into settings for tha app and uncheck automatically mount sd card. Problem fixed.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Ruff is just trying to cover all bases ;)

Doubletwist, is an app used to convert and import iPhone app store audio files into android.

As you see, we android people always try and leave no stone unturned.;)

patfactorx

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
I root to get Titanium Backups which let's me backup apps and data. Also being to install custom roms is awesome.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Actually, I have never heard of doubletwist. It's not installed and to boot, USB debugging isn't enabled either :-\

theres some other app then that has an option to auto-enable usb. that was the most common one I could think of... how about power amp? or winamp? mind sharing an entire list of apps... could help weed out the herd.

TerryMasters

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I would list them all but if I had to guess a suspect I'd say it's one of the launchers? Right now I'm using Go Launcher as it seems to be the fastest, but I have the big three installed - ADW, LauncherPro, and Go Launcher. I don't have a whole lot of apps but I can't entirely tell which ones came with it and which ones I added, so I'd end up listing everything and thats a pretty long list unfortunately.

I'm checking the launcher settings now.

Edit- Some bad news. I just did a factory reset on the phone. It still does it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILmMNd8UIXE

Ironically, GummyCharge of all things doesn't have this problem.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87