copied file to /system/etc keeps getting reverted on reboot

danns23

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
My gps has been wonky for some time and I believe it is the gps.conf file. I have a version that works perfectly only I cannot get the darn file to copy over the one in /system/etc and stay there. It keeps reverting to the original file after a reboot.

I am not having a permissions problem here. It is more like what I copy over is saved as if it were a temporary filesystem.

I've used adb push, I've gone in through the shell and issued cat /sdcard/gps.conf > /system/etc/gps.conf; sync, and I've tried using esexplorer to copy and past the file over the one in /system/etc/gps.conf. They all change the file to what I want it to be, but when I reboot, it's back to what it used to be.

If I don't reboot the system I notice that after a while, the contents of the file just disappear. If I try to view the file it reports as empty.

How can I get this file to stay?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You probably don't have "write" permissions. Sometimes, even though you have root, you still don't have "RW" permissions.

Try using a file explorer like "root explorer" or "ES"

When you get to the directory, select RW (read/write)

EDIT: or. if you're tryimg to do this while the device is running, it may not let you. Try doing it through adb while in fastboot (just a theory as I haven't tried this before)

Last edited: