Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What is the difference between and app and a widget?

Just ordered my Incredible on Saturday and while I'm waiting for the phone to arrive I'm trying to understand the "smartphone vocabulary". Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Resident Ringtone Maker

4,045 Posts
    Global Posts
    7,160 Global Posts
    BB JB

I was confused too.
    I believe the definition or description is this:
    An app is an application that is running, i.e. browser, email, etc.
    A widget is part of the app that may run constistantly.
    For instance, on your desktop, if you have vista, the sidebar is an application, but the clock, or anything else you add to it is a widget.

Well, a widget is basically the same as gadgets in Windows Vista/7 and widgets in Mac OS X. Since Android allows simultaneous apps, widgets basically run in the background and (typically) update when ever you are looking at the home screen they are on. The giant clock/current weather thing that almost all the press shots of the Incredible show is a widget made by HTC.

Now, apps are a bit different. You can put a shortcut to one or just launch it from the "app drawer" and it will take up the whole screen. Many apps have widget versions that come with them. For example, Pandora has a full screen app as well as a 1x4 widget that quickly lets you see what is playing, like/dislike, play/pause, and skip. Touching anywhere on the widget other than those controls will open up the full app seamlessly and give you more functionality like seeing album art, changing stations, editing your profile etc.

hope this helps!

I think widgets are what currently defines one (there are many more) of the major differences between the Android and the iPhone right now. As kyleg said, a widget is essentially a mini-app running in the background all the time. This requires multitasking, which isn't yet available in the iPhone.

Once they release the next iPhone, I'm sure there will be widgets all over the place in the iTunes store and iPhone owners will think it's a completely new thing that Apple invented.

Widgets live your home screens. An app may include one or more widgets.