Help a noob with files on microSD card

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
New to Android, and loving it so far. Here's my (most recent) question:

Seems all my document files (word, excel, etc) initially copied from my PC to the microSD card are showing as read-only when I try to save them after editing.

I'm hoping this is some sort of screw-up on my part... did I do something wrong, or what can I do to correct?

Found two old possibly relevant threads, one not really. In the other, the person just cleared the cache (which cache?) and deleted a possible offending app.

Files were copied from PC to card while card was in the S2. Plugged the S2 into usb connection on PC and used explorer window to copy files.

Opened a Word document on my PC (file stored on SD on phone), edited it, and tried to save it. Word said file was read-only. Saved file to a temp location, used explorer to copy it over the old file.

Same scenario in Excel.

Also, if in Word or Excel, neither application sees the phone when trying to open a document (Using File, Open).

Explorer shows the device connected as: SPH-D710, with Card and Phone as sub-directories.

Is this normal/routine?

Any help/guideance is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I would assume the cache is the cache related to the app that you are using the edit the files. Which means you have to go to manage apps, find the app you are using, short press it, then hit clear cache. I assume that's what they meant, but, without the actual thread I can't be sure.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, hate to say this, but it happens a lot. Just a stab in the dark, but I would say, by default, the devices's directories are set to read only. I can only picture this in my head.

I would suggest this. Use a program called Root Explorer. Check the directory that your files are located in, and make sure it is mounted as R/W (read write), if it says R/O, then you should be able to change it.. This should fix your issue.

I hope................

Reactions: TheMacs

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It might, but I haven't used it in awhile. I like Astro as you can easily install apps (apks), just havent had the need lately. But hey, check it out.

Personally, I've never had many problems on my sd card. But, it's worth checking.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Why would you need Astro to use an apk? You should just be able to use it stock, no? I have rarely done this, but, I don't have anything like Astro installed.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Looks like my external sd card is mounted as r/w (read/write)... Any other suggestions?

I can probably go the root (haha) of wiping it, and trying again, but trying the same thing over and over I can't expect different results.

ElefantPhace

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried editing the files on the phone? and if you are connecting it to the pc to edit anyway why not drag them off the card, edit, save, and put back on the card?

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
On a PC, sometimes a file is in read only because another file is accessing it. Is it possible that some app you have installed on your phone has a lock on the files?

What app are you using to access the files on your phone? Did you try clearing the cache for this app like we talked about above? Or even uninstalling this app?

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Haven't tried editing on the phone, don't want to. Just using part of the card as storage for all kinds of files.

Idon't believe there is a cache to clear, but if there is, please let me know which to try.

My two exampes are MS Office documents (one Excel, one Word). Both opened in their respective PC programs without issue. Attempted to save both in the program, and both tried to change the path to one on the PC:

c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\temp\WPDNSE\...

In trying to save within the programs, they do not see the phone connected to the PC.

But, in an Explorer window, the phone is visable, connected as:

My Computer\SPH-710

Subfolders in SPH-710 are Card and Phone

If it matters, PC is running XP Pro, SP3. Phone is a non-rooted SGS2ET4G. Files are .xls and .doc (all pretty standard stuff).

Thanks again!

ElefantPhace

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
When you are opening them they are opening as read only and creating a temp file which is what you are trying to save to. Just pull them off the card, edit them and put them back on. You've already got explorer opened on your card anyway so just drag it off to your desktop then back on when you're done. Easy

Reactions: TheMacs

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Tested... worked ElefantPhace, thanks. Not exactly optimal, but do-able.

Weird, but looking at files on phone via explorer window, and none show as read-only.

ElefantPhace

Feb 28, 2011
Visit site
Well it isn't. Word isn't opening the file directly from the card, it has to make a read only copy in your temp files

Suthnautr

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
That location you gave c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\temp\WPDNSE\ is what I'm seeing too, but only because I can't use "search" to see the files on my Android HTC DNA, and there is no removable SD card for me to search using a drive letter assigned by the PC. All I see is My Computer\HTC6435LVW.

I copied and pasted an old executable 16 bit utility called Quick Viewer into the Droid's storage space hoping I could use it to view all of my .jpgs faster so I could find the image I was looking for that way, but when I ran it, it shows the path as c:\documents and settings\user\local settings\temp\WPDNSE\ ...and there are none of my droid files there at all... which tells me that either Android or HTC are using some Windows super secret folder/drive designation to mask everything.

This is related to what you're saying because the people you're getting answers from don't have the answers. Part of finding the answer is understanding what's really wrong here, and I'm onto something. I may just boot up using Windows ultimate boot disk or something else to see what I can see - I need to get directly to the storage space itself, not some proxy for it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463