Unsolicited, unknown texts from "1"

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
I've received several texts from an unknown sender whose name/number is simply "1". It always has a bunch of Fw: Fw:'s in the front and link button to press for a download. I obviously do not press the download link as it is most likely spam or some virus. Does anyone know who this could be or how to get it to stop?

I use GO SMS and Handcent mostly, and neither of those seem to have a blacklist from what I could find.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
It could be one of two things...

1. A friend is using an app to mask the number and send you a text as a prank...I've seen apps that prank call and give the option to mask the incoming call #.

2. You are receiving spam text, which can happen. I get spam text/offers from unsolicited sources and its annoying.

You can blacklist the number using Handcent SMS by long pressing the contact/thread and selecting blacklists. FAQ

It's the same for Chomp SMS and probably Go. Hope this helps :)

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
the one time i got some "prank" sms i responded with SMS Bomber. Prank stopped.:D

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
I got a text from "1" once. I just deleted it. I guess if it happens often, blacklist it. And yes, it's smart to not open attachments from unknown senders, just like with email.

bigoldthor

Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
It could be one of two things...

1. A friend is using an app to mask the number and send you a text as a prank...I've seen apps that prank call and give the option to mask the incoming call #.

2. You are receiving spam text, which can happen. I get spam text/offers from unsolicited sources and its annoying.

You can blacklist the number using Handcent SMS by long pressing the contact/thread and selecting blacklists. FAQ

It's the same for Chomp SMS and probably Go. Hope this helps :)

Ah, thanks. The long press, blacklist option worked. I thought I tried that but apparently not. Still kind of weird. I'm pretty new to Android (since April) having been a BlackBerry user for many years. I never had to deal much with this sort of thing on BB, but maybe it's becoming more common.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Just use caution with apps like sms bomber... You don't want to be hit with an invoice for an overage for someone's bill... Yes, spam text is the same, but you don't want to have tables turned.

Just blacklist and call it a day.

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

sharksfan7

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I use Handcent as my default messaging app as well. I had this happen a couple of times a few weeks ago. Found it very odd so, of course, I deleted the messages without clicking on the download link. Then recently after flashing a new ROM I was testing it to make sure my SMS/MMS was working properly and sent myself a picture. Within a few seconds, I received that message from "1". I took a chance and hit the download button and it was the MMS that I just sent to myself. Once it downloaded it automatically moved into the original conversation and the "1" disappeared. I then remembered that my sister had asked me if I received the picture she sent me a few weeks ago. I didn't think I did, but then I realized it must've been those "1" messages.

I just tested this again using the stock messaging app on my Inspire and the same thing happens. So apparently it has something to do with how the phone in handling the receipt of MMS. If you go into Settings, you'll probably find that "Auto-Retrieve" of MMS is not enabled. In Handcent it's Settings>Receive Message Settings, under the MMS Retrieval Settings header. If you enable Auto Retrieve and send yourself a picture, you'll probably first receive a msg from "1" and then it will quickly disappear and the picture will appear in the normal conversation.

It's up to you to decide if you want to have that enabled, especially if you're on a limited data plan and receive a lot of MMS. Unfortunately, unless the people sending you the MMS sends you a txt telling you to expect it, I don't see a way to know who the MMS is coming from before downloading it.

Last edited:

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
In Handcent it's Settings>Receive Message Settings>MMS Retrieval Settings. If you enable Auto Retrieve and send yourself a picture, you'll probably first receive a msg from "1" and then it will quickly disappear and the picture will appear in the normal conversation.

I just looked for this setting, but on my phone it's Settings>Receive Message Settings>Auto Download. It's all the way at the bottom. There is no option for MMS retrieval settings on mine, but the explination under Auto Download is the same thing. I'm using version 3.9.9.1

sharksfan7

Aug 6, 2011
Visit site
I just looked for this setting, but on my phone it's Settings>Receive Message Settings>Auto Download. It's all the way at the bottom. There is no option for MMS retrieval settings on mine, but the explination under Auto Download is the same thing. I'm using version 3.9.9.1

That's odd. I'm running the same version and the Auto Retrieve setting is right in the middle of the Receive Message page, 5th option from the top. I think the Auto Download option at the bottom is only for messages that go through "Handcent MMS+", which I believe can be used for larger files.

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
That's odd. I'm running the same version and the Auto Retrieve setting is right in the middle of the Receive Message page, 5th option from the top. I think the Auto Download option at the bottom is only for messages that go through "Handcent MMS+", which I believe can be used for larger files.

Sorry, I see it now. I wasn't looking for MMS resrieval settings to be a header bar.