Wireless Printing

TMFGO45

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Hi everybody. I was wondering if anybody uses a program called PrinterShare? I want to be able to print directly from my android, to a wireless printer, WITHOUT a router. Is that possible with the program? Or is a lan through a router required?

If anyone knows a better app, or better way, please let me know!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

valorian

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Going through a wireless router is the only way I know of. I've never used PrinterShare.

I have an HP wireless printer at home. I have it connected wireless to my router. During the printer's setup, you are given an e-mail address for your printer. From your phone, you are able to send pictures to your printer's e-mail address to print pictures. But again, through a router is the only way I know to do this.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Yep. As Val said...

Andoid does not yet have a native printer function. And as thus, you have to send it via an apps email, And going through what he said, is about the only way I know of doing this.

TMFGO45

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I'm hoping someone has used Printer Share, and can tell me if that program allows it. They talk about there own printer drivers for the app etc, so I think it works that way. I just need someone to hopefully confirm it, one way or the other...

androidtechrep

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
If you have GoogleChrome on your Home PC you can go into settings and log into CloudPrint. Then you download the Cloud Print app to your Android and print through there. But oops, the only way the Cloud Print app will find your printer is if it is connected to the same wireless router as the phone. So, I guess there is no way to do it without a wireless router. However, once the app finds the printer you no longer have to be connected to the same router and you can print from anywhere. When you print a document from the app it will forward it to the Home PC through GoogleChrome and print it out.

Xopher

Trusted Member
Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
I use Printer Share, but through an access point. My Epson printer had wifi capabilities and is linked to the access point as well. Once my phone (and tablet) are connected to the network, Printer Share sees it and prints without needing to be connected to a computer. It does load a printer driver onto the phone, so you need to check and make sure your printer is supported.

I also have the Printer Share app loaded on my PC, so I can choose remote printing when not at home. It just goes through their servers to retrieve the IP address. It doesn't use a printer driver on the phone, just on the PC. Of course, you have to have a router for this to work.

If I remember correctly, Printer Share also can directly connect to bluetooth printers as well.

Printer Share works pretty well. It can access many different files and you can send things to the app through the Share menu option. It will link to your gmail app and print emails, although if you use a POP account and try to print from the Share option, it won't print HTML emails (at least not yet).

TMFGO45

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
So does the bluetooth option allow for printing without a router then? I would have no problems with that. I'm a truck driver, so a router is something extra I'm trying to simply not have in the truck. If you can clarify on the bluetooth option, that might be the direction I choose to go then. Thanks.

Jaye-Z

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Take it from someone who loves to be able to print from anywhere, PrinterShare is for you! As long as you have a wi-fi and/or bluetooth ready printer available; or, if your printer is plugged in to your wireless router, you'll be ready to print as soon as you download the software. Otherwise, if you require a cord to print from your computer, this solution isn't for you.

If you already have a wireless capable printer, install the free version first to get your printer set up, get a page printed; then you're pretty much good to go. And if you print more than 5 sheets per month, go ahead and make the full version purchase. I assure you, it's worth it!
You too will LOVE the flexibility it has, as well as the ability to cloud print as most newer printers on the market have today, making it a piece of cake to store in your cloud server for printing at a later time.

I really hope you enjoy PrinterShare! I am one of their happiest customers, so far. I hope you join me soon!
** Side Note : Makes it easy to print on the road, if you're out of town on business!
:D
All the best & God bless,
JAYE by the sea
Wrightsville Beach, NC

Last edited:

TMFGO45

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
You sounded like a pitch man. I would join you if you told me about wifi/bluetooth printing without a router in the middle. Just the phone, the app, and the printer is all I want, if possible!

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You sounded like a pitch man. I would join you if you told me about wifi/bluetooth printing without a router in the middle. Just the phone, the app, and the printer is all I want, if possible!

HA! I was going to comment on that earlier. It's probably a "bot" that scours the forums and blasts us with their ads based on key words. Happens frequently.

Notice how it only had 2 posts, and I would guess, it's about wireless printing from android advertising it's product.Like you, I saw it as an ad pitch.

Eventually, I believe Google will incorporate native printing. Probably via bluetooth or USB. It's just not there yet. I visit several corporations every day, and it pains me to know I have to print out documents at home, and at times, my printer messes up, runs out of ink, etc.

I could imagine connecting a router in a semi. Would look like a christmas tree with all the cables.

TMFGO45

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
If I did that, there would be nothing but the power cord, so I could do it, but I'm certain there is some stinking way to print without a router in the middle...and I will find the answer haha

androidtechrep

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Well like I was saying, if you are needing to print from your truck you can use Google Cloud Print to print from your phone to your home printer and it is all free. However, you will need a router to establish the initial wifi connection to your phone so the Cloud Print app on your phone can find your home printer. Once the printer is located and set as the default printer, the app saves it; after which, your phone does NOT need to be connected to the router to print from your phone. All you need is to be signed into Google Cloud Print using the Google Chrome Browser on the computer connected to your home printer and you can print from anywhere, anytime. And if your are sending print jobs but your are not signed into Google Cloud Print on your home computer, the jobs will stay in queue and complete once you sign back in. If buying a router is an issue, I am sure some stores offer a return policy so you could buy one, use it to establish the one-time connection with your phone, and return it for a refund. Thus, this process costs nothing and does not require a PERMANENT router.:cool:

Andrew Ruffolo

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
I use a cheap HP printer I got at Walmart with e-print an I can email anything to it. It has a dedicated photo paper drawer an pics that for pictures and regular paper for documents.

Edit: router required. Printer share has many options for printing, just install app on both PC and phone and no router is required. Its kinda pricey but I believe there is a free trial period. Also it was free in Amazon a few weeks back

deadeye99

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I've used printer share for almost a year. One of the only apps I've paid for. It works great with wifi and bluetooth. They keep adding features. Try it free first. Bob

pazzo02

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
So does the bluetooth option allow for printing without a router then? I would have no problems with that. I'm a truck driver, so a router is something extra I'm trying to simply not have in the truck. If you can clarify on the bluetooth option, that might be the direction I choose to go then. Thanks.

If you have a printer with bluetooth you should be able to use PrinterShare Premium to print directly to it. I have the app and there's a choice for connecting via bluetooth, but I've never used that method. I also can't seem to find any info on it on their website (printershare.com). I know that you definintely need a router to use the wifi printing method. Maybe try contacting them for more info about bluetooth.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1