Non-Market App for private use

mamatojo

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
My organization recently developed an app for our team to use with our Android phones. The app is work tool that is proprietary to our organization, and we had planned to install it to our phones as a non-market app. However - we just discovered that AT&T (most of our phones) does not provide this option on their Android phones.

We also looked into side loading but the process is too hands on to manage our hundreds of agents who are spread around the country.

Can we publish the app to the market but limit the access somehow?

Help!!

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
You can probably publish the app and make it tight so that a user name and password is required for use. So it would basically be unusable to anyone who does not have a username and password.

I know AT&T has also pushed updates to various phones to allow installation of non-market apps. Might want to give AT&T a call and see what phones have updates with this feature enabled.

Reactions: the2ndflood

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Make sure the users all have a file manager app installed (like astro) Should be pretty simple as all phones should have a file manager.

Enable all users to goto Settings/Applications, and enable "non-market apps". Most 3 yr olds can do this ;)

Then you can e-mail the app, or post it on the site for "download".

Use the file manager to browse to the download folder, select your apk (application), select install. It's not a whole lot different than using Windows Explorer on a pc.

Of course, you can also pay a developer to program a web page that will do the same thing. They could put a bar code on the page. Of course, the users will have to put a bar code scanner on their device from the market.

Good luck finding a phone number for Google. Of course the market has a contact for money related things.

Reactions: the2ndflood

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Moscow, the problem is that AT&T android devices do not allow non-market apps to be installed. The option allowing such installations has been removed and only recently has been introduced into updates for some phones :(

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Moscow, the problem is that AT&T android devices do not allow non-market apps to be installed. The option allowing such installations has been removed and only recently has been introduced into updates for some phones :(

Well that just sucks. Doesn't surprise me.

Thanks for informing me. Too many years out of the states...

But let me ask a question. Now, I have seen where some skins don't allow certain menus. However, with the addition of say, a launcher app, from the market, I have read where these hidden capabilities come into view. You heard of this? I just read the other day. Happend with certain devices which didn't have the menu for usb debugging, which is necessary for root. Install Launcher pro, and you can get the shortcuts to the hidden menus. After all, the stock code is stock code, it's only the skins that prevent it.

Last edited:

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah when I was using the Captivate, I had to root and change some files to enable side loading.
What about using the side loading app? Will that work?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that the OP is trying to simply the process to the extent possible since many users may not be tech savvy enough to follow instructions on their own. Using a side loader will work, but may be difficult to explain and get people through the process.

baseballfanz

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that the OP is trying to simply the process to the extent possible since many users may not be tech savvy enough to follow instructions on their own. Using a side loader will work, but may be difficult to explain and get people through the process.

that's true. password protect and put it on the market make good sense

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Nimocone

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I have a Captivate and got my non-Market apps enabled by visiting the AT&T website and then initiating a chat. They did it over the chat with no questions asked. When I previously tried calling them, they referred me to Samsung who then referred me back to AT&T who then said they couldn't do it. They obviously can on my older phone and I would think that as a company, they would be more inclined to listen to you if your company were to call and ask. If all else fails, put it on the Market with a password. That might be the simplest after all.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawncompton