Deleted outlook subfolder by accident!

egrimmer

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I accidentally deleted an exchange/outlook sub folder from my Infuse android phone. It doesn't go to the trash folder on phone, it doesn't go to deleted items folder in outlook? Where does it go? In androids infinite wisdom they put the delete and refresh folder options right by each other, this is the second time I've accidentally hit delete instead of refresh. It is very easy to do on a touch screen phone and then to have no warning about deleting or the ability to recover is extremely frustrating! Any advice on how to recover?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
It goes to "la-la land". In theory, if the subfolder was located on your SD, you may be able to use an "undelete" app for your pc. I was successful in recovering some video my old gf had deleted ;)

I suppose you could re-create the folder, then restore a previously made backup from your PC. I usually do a Sync All to Outlook on my PC just in case. (never trust the cloud). The app has options on which is the primary, in case I deleted one or the other by accident. I usually run it weekly.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I was successful in recovering some video my old gf had deleted ;)

You crack me up Moscow. :D

I accidentally deleted an exchange/outlook sub folder from my Infuse android phone. It doesn't go to the trash folder on phone, it doesn't go to deleted items folder in outlook? Where does it go?

Technically it doesn't go anywhere. Unless you zero write data, it's still there, and, even then it is possible to recover. When you delete something it just gets flagged as "hey it's cool to put new data here." So, it's possible to recover. Not exactly sure how in this situation, but, I'd say it's possible. Maybe not likely, but, possible. You could try doing some Google research on how to recover lost data. You might find some programs out there that can help. But, it might not really be worth your effort, depending on what was in that actual folder.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
You crack me up Moscow. :D

Obviously "she" didn't find it amusing ;)

But seriously, get an undelete app for the pc, use the pc's card reader, then try to restore it. Usually, it will ask you to rename the file. Example: Deleted file shows "?xchange". Rename it to "exchange". In windows (and Symbian), the "symbol" tells the OS it's ok to overwrite. Android may be similar.

Devinator

Sūpā Saiya-jin Fō
Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Obviously "she" didn't find it amusing ;)

But seriously, get an undelete app for the pc, use the pc's card reader, then try to restore it. Usually, it will ask you to rename the file. Example: Deleted file shows "?xchange". Rename it to "exchange". In windows (and Symbian), the "symbol" tells the OS it's ok to overwrite. Android may be similar.

Hahaha, I'm sure she didn't. I think the funniest part is you got them back. You are my hero man. Hahaha.

Yea, there should be some type of software that will do an undelete. But, with how small the storage space on phones is, I'd say it's likely that the space has already been overwritten with new data. But, it all depends on what % of the total storage is used, and, how often new data goes into storage. If it happened a couple of minutes ago and the storage receives little activity, it's pretty likely it could be restored, but, if it's been days, and, the storage is used heavily, I'd say it's unlikely.

egrimmer

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately there is no local backup copy on my PC. This is a corporate exchange account, I deleted my boss' folder by accident so it was probably the most important folder there is.

I'm sure I could spend hours researching how to restore it from memory and still come up with nothing. I can't believe nobody thought it was a bad idea to put delete and refresh right next to each other. On top of that no confirmation to delete, just POOF gone. Then no restore option? Horrible design right there, I'm an iPhone convert and things like this really leave a bad taste in my mouth about android. I have an iPhone for 3 years and never had this problem.

There is also no option to turn off the ability to delete emails or folders from the server. I'm researching third party apps now for email but disappointed I have to pay for another app.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21