Random Reboots

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I am sure there are already threads about random reboots but i couldn't find them. Anyway, my wife and i both had mytouch 4gs since this past February and random reboots were just a normal part of the experience for us. Mine just bricked on me last weekend for no reason (all original, no custom rom or root) and t-mo sent me a mytouch 4g slide as a replacement. I figured between the dual cores, sense 3.0, and now being on gingerbread, my experience would be better. Got the phone Wednesday night and just this morning, while viewing an mms picture this phone rebooted. I'm already agitated because my mt4g died for no reason and now i'm just furious because this new phone with twice the power already random rebooted me. Does anyone know why this happens? Do other htc phones do this as well? Is this a mytouch issue? Is it because the mytouches have a tweaked version of sense? Can i do anything to help this? If this phone bricks on me like the last one and its after this coming February, i'm out of luck and will have to buy a new phone, which i wont be able to afford.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Man, I think it's just bad luck.

Reboots are generally caused by 2 things. Corrupted software, or overheated hardware. At least in my experience. Overheated hardware, typically comes from corrupt Software. ie; places the processor in a continous loop. Or just a faulty peice.

I'm going to guess, they gave you a previously owned phone. If you got it recently, I would return it and demand another. There's no excuse for it. I suppose, the tech's just plugged a new OS and skin on it, booted it, and said, "yeah, it boots". One of our users returned his POD 4 times until he got one that worked correctly.

If they will not replace it, then I can only say you have to take matters into your own hands. And that is, to "root" the device, and install your own ROM. And I will tell you, it's a whole lot better than the skins they ship the devices with.

And of course, AC users will always help you!

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
I called t-mobile and they admitted to sending me a refurbished phone. They want to take me through some troubleshooting steps but i told them it will have to wait until i am not at work later this evening. This is crap. I should not have to pay for a refurbished phone after my original phone that was only 8 months old died. My phone was just sitting on my desk this mornign before i picked it up to view my mms, so it was not hot, or even warm. Thanks for the advice, i will keep you posted.

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
I can understand sending a refurbished device to replace an 8 month old phone. Hell, I used to buy refurbished computers. But,,,, they should function as new, and shouldn't look like a 14yr old had them (scratches, bangs, nicks in the display).

HTC puts out quality . After the carriers put the "skins" on them, well, not HTC's fault.

But, you should get a replacement that was at least in as good condition as what you returned.

Keep on them. But, if you have no option, give us a yell, and we'll tell you how to unleash the power.

Transtang z28

Mar 19, 2011
Visit site
What rom would you recommend for the mytouch 4g slide. That phone doesnt have a root section like the original mytouch 4g does. I would like to make sure i can still use my front facing camera. Also, i really like the sense 3 weather app, do any roms use it or emulate it well?

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Well, I can't tell you what rom works best, as I don't have your device ;)

But if you go to this place, you'll find all types;

myTouch 4G Slide Android Development - xda-developers

Usually you can tell which rom is popular by how many replys are in the thread.:D (or maybe how many bugs are in it)

Roms come in 2 flavors, Stock and Cooked. Stock is usually stripped of all the useless stuff. Advantage is more free internal storage, plus usually the most recent version of android, and a few useful apps.

Cooked would be optimized including an optimized Kernel. This is good for overclocking the cpu with maximized power savings. Also include GPU tweaks, camera tweaks, etc. Sometimes they may have an annoying bug or two, but usually the Devs fix them pretty quick. Usually only happens with newly posted Roms.

Android Central also has some links from the Home Page with some info about Rooting and Rom.

As with HTC Sense, say hasta la vista. But, you can get clocks and weather widgets that look just like it ;)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shae