How-to: Syncing music over wifi from iTunes

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How-to: Sync music (and Podcasts and Movies) over wifi from iTunes

One of the advantages Apple has (and will have until Google decides to build a desktop syncing application) is the seamless syncing with iTunes. You can just plug the phone/iPod in and you are golden. So, what do we Android users do?

One of the coolest things about Android is that you can use an app like TuneSync that will sync playlists from iTunes on your computer onto the phone, artwork and what not all included. TuneSync is only like $4 so it is a great deal IMO. Check out their website for more details, but I have been nothing but happy with it. The first sync (and any thereafter where you will be adding a large number of songs) takes a long time, but if you set it up right before bed and leave your computer on and your phone charging, you'll have no issues.

A guy actually tried to release something similar for the iPhone but got rejected by Apple so wireless sync is something you can rub into any iPhone user =P

Once I got this thing set up, I quickly discovered I needed more space for my music. So, I just ordered this great deal on a 16GB microSD card off Amazon. 16GB for $30!. Now I just need to figure out podcast syncing and ill be set =]

Works great on my Inc, and hopefully will for you guys too.

[Update 23May]
I got my 16GB card earlier this week, so even if you select the cheapo shipping you might get it really fast. Copied everything from my old card to my new one and everything is working great.

Also, TuneSync can even sync videos and podcasts if you want it to! Super useful!

[Update 14June]
The folder paths TuneSync creates are compatable with the new doubleTwist media playing app available in the market. I like the style of it over the stock player so I use it in conjunction with TuneSync for actually getting the files onto my device.

[Update 13 July]
Just so as to be clear, there are many iTunes syncing solutions for Android users. In addition to TuneSync and DoubleTwist, many users swear by iSyncr. Try them out and decide which is best for you! =]

Note: Any podcasts you have will not show up in the main "podcasts" section of the doubleTwist app. They are in playlists > podcasts.

[edit] changed title to better reflect functionality of TuneSync

Last edited:
Reactions: skywriter

NVR2ND

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
Is there something better to do if I dont have a wifi Connection at my house? Im using a Verizon data card for what it is worth.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Sounds intriguing. And Apple killed it on their platform? Why?

cause Apple doesn't like people messing with "core functionality" even when that functionality is improved...

How does it compare to Double Twist? if I got the name right

doubleTwist won't work over wifi, it requires you plug your phone into your computer (but is a great piece of software)

Is there something better to do if I dont have a wifi Connection at my house? Im using a Verizon data card for what it is worth.

doubleTwist lol =P

wryun

May 17, 2010
Visit site
... I quickly discovered I needed more space for my music. So, I just ordered this great deal on a 16GB microSD card off Amazon. 16GB for $30! ...

$30 is a great deal for a 16GB card! Please let us know how the card works for you once you get it and use it. I get kind of nervous buying big cards since my last card purchase was a fake/clone that didn't work. It was a 16GB Sony Memory Stick, so I am sure this is a different case.

Thanks! :D

wryun

May 17, 2010
Visit site
How fast should the card be? There are a ton of class 2 cards out there for around $30, but will they do the job?

Also, what's the biggest card that I can use - 16GB? 32GB?

Thanks!

I am confused.
Verizon Wireless specs the Dinc being able to handle up to 16GB, but every other review or spec I have read says it can handle up to 32GB.

Can anyone confirm this please? I would like to buy a card, and would rather get the 32GB if the Dinc can handle it.

Thanks!

AJFSTORM

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
It would be great if they had an app that synced everything ( contacts, mail, calendar, apps, video etc) , not just iTunes.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
$30 is a great deal for a 16GB card! Please let us know how the card works for you once you get it and use it. I get kind of nervous buying big cards since my last card purchase was a fake/clone that didn't work. It was a 16GB Sony Memory Stick, so I am sure this is a different case.

Thanks! :D

It has worked great, when I got it I basically just coppied all the files from the 2GB to my new 16GB. Took a bit for all the music to re-import into the music app, but so far has worked great.

Funny, I just posted this in another thread, but Google is working on an iTunes-like platform with wireless sync: Web-Based iTunes Competitor.

well, this is a feature coming in the future and is not in Froyo so the soonest it would come would probably be along with Gingerbread (2.3). So, if you want to sync your music before then, this is what you need =]

How fast should the card be? There are a ton of class 2 cards out there for around $30, but will they do the job?

Also, what's the biggest card that I can use - 16GB? 32GB?

Thanks!

The initial transfer took longer then I would have liked, but you only have to do that once. A class 2 does 2MBps transfer rate which for most tasks is more than enough.

As for 32 GB cards, they can be used but your phone can't format them properly. Search on Google or the forums for advice to getting it to work.

It would be great if they had an app that synced everything ( contacts, mail, calendar, apps, video etc) , not just iTunes.

Hehe. Well, I forgot to mention that TuneSync can sync any playlist in iTunes. And iTunes has playlists for podcasts, movies, and TV shows. You wont be able to use videos bought off iTunes (I think they have DRM) but if you rip a movie off a DVD you should be golden.

As for as contacts, mail, and calendar, you can just use the Google equivalents of all of those. The phone will sync with gamil and google calendar.

For apps, there are several services such as AppBrain that will help you out until Google does the OTA app syncing.

Also, my card wasn't supposed to ship until the 25th. It got here on Tuesday =]. Go Amazon!

Night Train

Mar 14, 2010
Visit site
One of the coolest things about Android is that you can use an app like TuneSync that will sync playlists from iTunes on your computer onto the phone....
I love this forum.

Since I'm waiting for June 4 to put this on my Evo, I went ahead and experimented with my wife's Eris (!) and I just wirelessly downloaded a playlist from my itunes collection onto her phone.

It worked flawlessly. I am impressed.

Thanks for the tip!

Tre Lawrence

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I love this forum.

Since I'm waiting for June 4 to put this on my Evo, I went ahead and experimented with my wife's Eris (!) and I just wirelessly downloaded a playlist from my itunes collection onto her phone.

It worked flawlessly. I am impressed.

Thanks for the tip!

Dumb question: it synced playable protected files from iTunes?

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I synced my playlists but none of the artwork came over. Any ideas?

I have had mixed results with this. Some artwork came over but some didn't. Honestly its not something that I really care about because the only time I would see it would be if I'm looking at a specific song.

AJFSTORM

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
As for as contacts, mail, and calendar, you can just use the Google equivalents of all of those. The phone will sync with gamil and google calendar.

For apps, there are several services such as AppBrain that will help you out until Google does the OTA app syncing.

Also, my card wasn't supposed to ship until the 25th. It got here on Tuesday =]. Go Amazon!

Yea I use all of those plus Spanning Sync, but it's kind of a hodge podge to get it all working (I have a Mac which doesn't sync 2 way with some things). It would be nice to have 1 desktop program for it all. I used Missing Sync for BB and even BB's Desktop Manager worked well before I switched to Android from my Storm. And as much as I like using the cloud, I still want and need to have my computer involved on many levels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs