Custom contact ringtone problem

TooOldToLearnTricks

Dec 10, 2011
Visit site
I am having the same problem. On the contacts, the personalized ringtone shows for the specific contact, but when that contact calls, the default ringtone plays. This happens for every contact, whether they have a specific ringtone checked or not.

I have no idea how to check to see if the contacts are stored on Google acct or not, and I would welcome advice. I followed the tutorial on setting individualized ringtones, and while it shows the ringtone has been "saved" (over and over again), it never is!

Nimocone

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
One thing I noticed is when I use Ringdroid to set a ringtone to a contact, I don't seem to have any problems. I only use Ringdroid when the phone complains that the file is too big to use as a contact ringtone. If I get the time, I might use it to set the rest of my contacts and see if that solves the problem.

dbareis

Jan 15, 2010
Visit site
Hi, Maybe someone has already suggested this but (1) If your ringtone is on the sdcard and the sdcard is unavailable (mounted as Windows Drive for example) then it won't be able to play it and will use default. (2) Maybe use CatLog to record the android log and see if that shows up anything the next time the problem occurs.

Reactions: Ruth5662

Cokonuthead

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same problem since restoring my contacts after a factory reset. I searched here for help. Weaselnoze hit on the solution. There are multiple contact lists available for display. In Contacts select the menu key, then More and find Display Options. This willl show you which lists are available for display. One by one, select each one and have it display ALL lists. Then exit and return to your Contacts list. In my case many of the contacts had duplicate entires, because they are stored on the phone as well as the sim card, but I don not display the sim list. The problem with the custom ringtone not playing is because the duplicate entires did not have the custorm ringtone selected. Make sure that each duplicate entry has the same desired ringtone, then go back to Display Options and de-select the contact lists you do not want displayed, then you will find the problem is fixed!! Even though those optional contact lists may not be displayed, the phone considers them as valid and if there is a conflict, it will revert to the default ringtone.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I also use Ringo Pro. I have used it for many years and love it. You not only get to set individual ring tones but text tones too.

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Android Central Forums

eduardo1983

Dec 9, 2013
Visit site
i know this is a year but caused me alot of frustration weaselnoze was on to it, it worked for me make sure your contacts list only has contacts from your sim and not synced with whats app, we chat, yahoo mail etc and it should go work it did for me

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Boy, is this thread dead, buried, and a shopping center built over the cemetery, but:

Ruth, allow me to say, as a software developer who could make a fantastic living if bugs were worth money, that the only way to fix a bug (other than by the sheer luck of happening to do something you didn't mean to do and it fixes the bug) is to be able to reproduce the bug on demand. IOW, if I press these buttons in sequence on your phone, then ran this app, then called that number, and the next incoming call played the ringtone of the previous caller - without fail, every single time - I could START to look for what's causing the bug. 28 days? We had a database that would crash once in a while. About 5,000 customers keep trying to reproduce the bug. For months. After SIX MONTHS, one customer noticed that if the color of a particular product type was spelled a certain way, the bug would occur. Every single time. She called just before lunch. Three of us spent "lunch hour" making sure that the bug was reproducable. It was fixed before we left for our afternoon break.,

Fixing a bug isn't difficult - determining what's causing it can be impossible. Once you can reproduce it at will, fixing it is usually trivial.

The reason I haven't posted to this thread all this time is that, in all the years I've used phones with specific contact ringtones (and that's before Android), I've been married to an Irish lady, and her ringtone has been "Irish Traditional". And my niece's boyfriend's ringtone has been the dog in the commercial yelling "BACON". (He makes the most fantastic bacon dishes.) I have about a dozen other "personal" ringtones. Never once in all those years have I had the wrong ringtone come up. Motorola, LG, Samsung and a few companies that are no longer in business. (My first cellphone didn't have "contacts" - you dialed the number you wanted.) Posting "it never happened to me" wouldn't have helped you much. But if you're still reading this thread, maybe it'll help you to understand why "those people" don't "just fix" this bug. Give them (or anyone - not just you) a "this is how you make it go bad - every time" situation and fixing it will take about as long as it takes the coffee to get cool enough to drink.