Does Clockworkmod Affect Updating?

Alex.Kim

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone. I'm planning on getting Clockworkmod to perform Nandroid backups on my Captivate. Right now, I don't have any custom ROMs and I'm just running stock 2.2. Will Clockworkmod affect my ability to update to 2.3 gingerbread? Thanks :)

Moscow Desire

Troubleshooter
Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Maybe. If you take the OTA, you will probably lose root and your recovery might get over written. Devices are finicky in this aspect, and it depends what is in the update. You can always check the Dev threads either here or at xda developers and see if others had issues.

Best case, you get your update, no damage done.
Next best case, see original comment.
Worst case, you fubar your device, and spend countless hours finding a method to put it all back together.

CIP; When Acer recently pushed the 2.3 update, it installed a new more secure bootloader.It wiped out root, recovery, and the original root method no longer worked. Took a couple of weeks to sort out the mess.

So, you take your chances. Most folks will refuse the OTA in your case, and opt for a stock rooted rom.

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
As Moscow, said, updating may affect whether you can keep root access or lose it. By using Clockworkmod by itself with the stock ROM you should be allowed to update OTA, or however the manufacturer releases the update.

When its released it would probably be best to install a custom ROM that is based on the stock 2.3 update. If there is a strong developer community for the device you'll likely see a rooted version to install in a matter of days, if not sooner.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
scout13fox